Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag

Louis19's Build Thread

Hey All,
    I've decided to start my own build thread to have all the stuff I've done/doing in one thread rather then having it spread amongst various others. The Polo was bought in December 2014 off an older gentlemen who used it to commute to Brisbane and back a couple days a week for work. The car was completely stock other than 17” wheels he had put on it.
    Since then, the car has become the complete opposite of stock, more so than I would’ve ever antisipated when first purchasing the car.

As it stands, the
    current mods list is:

ECU and Tune:
    - Link G4+ Stand-alone ECU
    - Custom tune by Next Up Performance Brisbane - 273fwkw/366whp

ENGINE:
    - Engine rebuild Sep 2017 (Honed, new piston rings, rods installed, new seals, bearings, head cold bathed, new guides etc)
    - Calico Race bearings
    - AJL Large port head
    - Garret GT3071R .63/T3 Rear
    - Turbosmart external wastegate (10psi)
    - Bartek Top Mount exhaust manifold
    - Supertech exhaust valves
    - IE Forged Rods
    - Bosch EV14 1000cc
    - Custom Mafless 4” Intake
    - MAC 3 Port Boost controller
    - Plazmaman Intercooler 600x300x76 - Custom 2.5" Pipe work

- 034Motorsport Large Port Intake Manifold
    - 034Motorsport Intake manifold spacer
    - Audi R8 Coilpacks
    - 3" Turboback Exhuast
    - Walbro 460 Fuel Pump
    - Forge 007 DV
    - Vibratechnics Side Engine Mounts
    - Powerflex Lower Engine Mount (Black)
    - Aeroflow 10 Row Oil Cooler
    - Mocal Sandwich Plate 80c Thermostat
    - Porsche Oil & Coolant Caps
    - 42DD Solid Shifter Cable Bushes
    - 42DD Solid Shifter Bracket Bushes
    - Diesel Geek Bush Slop Removal Kit
    - Battery Relocated to Boot

- SAI Delete
    - N249 Delete
    - Aircon compressor, lines and core deleted

SUSPENSION:
    - H&R Monotube Coilovers (Replaced August 2016)
    - SuperPro Anti Lift LCA Rear bushes
    - Powerflex Black LCA Front bushes
    - Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    - Front Solid Traction Brace and Bars

BRAKES:
    - 312mm Audi TT/S3 Front Calipers
    - 256mm Bora Rear Brakes (To be installed))

WHEELS:
    - AdvanRacing Original RG 16x7.5 - Stripped and powder coated black.
    - Hankook RS3 225/50/16

EXTERIOR/VISUAL:
    - Badgeless Front Upper Grill
    - Honeycomb Lower Front Grills
    - "Cup Edition" Spoiler
    - Colour Matched Rear Valance
    - Colour Matched Side Skirts
    - Black Tail Lights
    - Billet Rear wiper delete

INTERIOR:
    - XAV68BT Head Unit
    - Momo Deep dish steering wheel
    - Innovate MTX-D Boost Gauge
    - Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR Gauge
    - Likewise Daytona Shifter Knob

FLUIDS:
    - Mobil 1 (5-50w) Full Synthetic
    - Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gearbox Oil
    - Nulon DOT 4 High Temp Brake Fluid

TIMED EVENTS:
    Willowbank 1/4 Mile: 13.1 @ 107.5MPH (04/01/2016) - K03 Hybrid Setup
    Queensland Raceway Sprints Circuit: 1:02.31 (17/9/16) - H&R Suspension 1:02.9 (02/07/2016) - MCA Suspension - K03 Hybrid Setup

Last edited by louis19; 26-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The mods started pretty much straight away but in the first week was all the boring stuff, did an oil and oil filter change. While I had it in the shop for the day I decided to fix up the headlights that were starting to get oxidised and were a bit scratched. Heres the before and after shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0006_2-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0009_2-jpg  

Last edited by louis19; 19-04-2015 at 04:09 PM.

2nd Week in the car was in at the exhaust shop for the down pipe fabrication with a 200 Cell cat. Luckily I could get the car booked in on the Friday afternoon, before seeing Gav the next morning for the retune. No CEL light came on between when it was done and the retune (about 100kms). Noise difference was a nice change, slight burble at idle, quiet when you need it to be but loud enough to put a smile on your face when you want it to
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0028-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 15-05-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Louis19's Build Thread

Saturday morning, the tune was done. A reasonably warm 30 Celsius day was more then enough to prove how much the stock SMIC really struggled with the temps sky rocketing after just a couple 3rd gear pulls (as I had been warned would happen by Gav and a few others). Due to the temps we settled on lower timing until a time where a FMIC had been installed.

Nonetheless the car tuned, was a huge difference over stock and you couldn't ask for a better guy than Gav to do it. Always willing to answer any questions, regardless of you knowledge level so anyone looking for a tune in the future, Gavs your man

At the same time of the tune, I picked up a lower engine bush to put in and help with the extra power and torque the tune provides. So while I was under the car I thought I may as well change the gearbox oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0288-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0290-jpg  

Last edited by louis19; 01-05-2017 at 08:01 AM.

A couple weeks past and the opportunity to pick up a set off H&R springs off Gav so on the way to getting my brother from the airport I stopped in to see Gav and grab them.

Installing the rear was easy and went to plan, the front left wasn't much worse but the front right was a pain, but with a whole lot of swearing, perseverance and an extra set of hands, I got it in.

The ride isn't world class and there are definitely better options out there if your happy to spend the money, but for the price of getting them off Gav and installing them myself was hard to pass up, as well as looks wise I was pretty happy with the drop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0018_1-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 19-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.

A few weeks later, Bflats Forge FMIC popped up and I jumped on it straight away. Install went smoothly thanks to the Forge guide you can view online which takes you through each step of the process.

Straight away after the install there was night and day difference with managing heat soak, in fact is was near non existent which was great. Others have said the Seatsport and other kits out there do the job better but again it was a case of, the price was right and could always resell later to go to another system if need be.

A few days after the install the car was back up to see Gav for a few more logs and timing adjustment. Towards the end of the first 3rd gear pull, a massive release of air noise came from the front end of the car on gear change. Tried to accelerate..... one of the intercooler pipings had blown off So after some improvisation of mounting the car half up on a curb, gavs handy leatherman and the use of the worlds most unstable feeling jack we got the piping back on and ready for another run. Thankfully this time it held on and was fine for the two more runs we did. Once gav was happy with the logs and the extra timing input, we went out separate ways. The extra timing was definitely noticeable and felt great all through the rev range but more importantly the intake temps were wayyyy down off the logs done with the SMIC and less timing.

After arriving home, I noticed the same piping connection had nearly slid back off the inner sleeve, so the car was jacked up (this time with a trustworthy jack), pulled the piping back apart, cleaned it all up and then used some hair spray and an extra jubilee clip to secure it back on. (hair spray worked well as a lube when wet, a good adhesive when dry). I have since done a few months driving and 2 happy laps events without any issues (touch wood)

Also got the stubby antenna on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0029_1-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0036_1-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0034_2-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0005_3-jpg  

Last edited by louis19; 30-04-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Another week or so passed and thought it was time to remove some of the unnecessary parts from the bay and tidy the look up a little. I started with the SAI delete and removed the engine cover brackets. All pretty easy stuff, made up my own blanking plate to sit on top of the combi and reused the gasket to sit under it.

While I was at it I used some 3" piping to make a new air intake pipe (a pd160 equivalent).

Also a pic of my tool improvisation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0034-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0200_1-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0057_1-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 19-04-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Next was the shifter bracket bushes and shifter cable bushes. Both made for a much nicer feel then stock. Removed some of the sloppy feel and feels more solid when selecting gears. Heres a couple pics of the bushes side by side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0031-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0030-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-dsc_0056_2-jpg  

Next the car got some plasti dip loving. Did the wheels, front VW badge and mirrors. Removed the front and rear GTI badges as well as the lower front grill. The plasti dip is great stuff to work with, very forgiving and easy to remove and start again if need be.

Also gave the car another oil and filter change before yesterdays Lakeside Laps. Changed to a different oil this time round and have found it to be good so far. Also changed the fuel filter as I was suspicious that it had never been changed after having a quick look at it on the car and seeing the condition it was in....... I was right, 142k kms and never changed, still had the date on it from when the car was built.

Heres a couple pics of the gunk and crap that came out of it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-11094848_10152378080378078_1847267987_n-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-11131855_10152378080343078_1816041690_n-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-11118074_10152378080323078_1936491345_n-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 23-09-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Yesterdays was Lakeside laps. Car felt great, and was my first proper session with it stage 2 and with the springs in (last session was cut short after just a few laps). I want to go to a better tire in the near future but thought the current ones performed decent considering their just cheapies. Thanks to the guys who made the effort to come out and take some photos for everyone

The Polo is going in on Tuesday for the downpipe to be swapped out for a 3" one, with the catback to be followed not long after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-11173592_10152392265108078_1283536737_n-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-11116000_10152392264878078_916095411_n-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-11129483_10152392264923078_2019777335_n-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 23-09-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast