Support VWWC

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag

somewhere around 450Nm at around 5500RPM - Kinda mental

Louis19's Build Thread-louis-torque-jpg

I don't understand the attraction of this 'roll racing' thing, doesn't make a lot of sense - I reckon you should get yourself a helmet and start going around corners... but that's just me

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    somewhere around 450Nm at around 5500RPM - Kinda mental

Louis19's Build Thread-louis-torque-jpg

I don't understand the attraction of this 'roll racing' thing, doesn't make a lot of sense - I reckon you should get yourself a helmet and start going around corners... but that's just me
    Hi Simon,

Is that graph using virtual dyno? I assume that’s just basing the power vs speed increments as both rise through the rev range? Wonder how accurate it is.

The attraction with the roll racing is it’s early in the morning before it gets hot. 90 minute sessions which you can go out and come back in as you please. Take out your mates, you can jump in their car if you’d like, or line them up out there. It’s probably the lowest form of wear on your car when comparing to sprint circuit work or drags etc. All of which is done and over by 8am and I’m home by 9:30am, with the rest of the weekend to do what I like.

I’ve done circuit work before on my old setup and had a blast but admitted for the time being, I have fallen out of love with it and not really interested in it. Part of that is due to it not being on nearly as often as the roll racing events, the other part being there’s so much prep work involved normally and it’s a whole day gig realistically by the time you travel there, make sure you are early enough for a pit, setup, do your sessions, pack up and travel back home.
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by louis19 View Post
    Hi Simon,

Is that graph using virtual dyno? I assume that’s just basing the power vs speed increments as both rise through the rev range? Wonder how accurate it is.
    "accurate" is a relative term, you were on a rolling road dyno - it's only accurate against itself - the dyno doesn't measure power, it measures torque and then uses that and the roller speed to give you a power number. I've reversed that calculation

nah, I did it in Excel - I looked at your graph (in the performance thread) and took a guess at the kW (first column) at each speed increment (second column)

I know your tyre size and gear ratios so I used that to work out RPM (third column) from the speed and then it's a standard formula to get the torque back again (fourth column)

Quote Originally Posted by louis19 View Post
    The attraction with the roll racing is it’s early in the morning before it gets hot. 90 minute sessions which you can go out and come back in as you please. Take out your mates, you can jump in their car if you’d like, or line them up out there. It’s probably the lowest form of wear on your car when comparing to sprint circuit work or drags etc. All of which is done and over by 8am and I’m home by 9:30am, with the rest of the weekend to do what I like.

I’ve done circuit work before on my old setup and had a blast but admitted for the time being, I have fallen out of love with it and not really interested in it. Part of that is due to it not being on nearly as often as the roll racing events, the other part being there’s so much prep work involved normally and it’s a whole day gig realistically by the time you travel there, make sure you are early enough for a pit, setup, do your sessions, pack up and travel back home.
    that does make sense - it probably helps that you're close to the track - and have a car that performs well in a straight line compared to the other stuff that goes along. If your car was standard like mine you'd probably get sick of being swallowed up by the fast cars.... if I had a rocket like yours I'd probably enjoy it too

Users Country Flag
    Motorsport tends to be a circular reference, we modify the car to suite the events we like and then it doesn't suite the events we don't like. Or do we chose the events the car is suitable for and then get to like them? I suspect that this car would be pretty terrible on the circuit, with that amount of horsepower and no LSD it would mean endless wheelspin with any sort of lateral G. Plus the lag / delayed throttle response would make it very difficult to drive on the traction limit. For drag racing it would need a locked diff or at least a good LSD. But for roll racing it would be great fun.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    QLD Polo GTI 9n3 Part out

For anyone after any 9n3 parts or mods
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag

what happened mate? put up a request in the parts link?

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748