Support VWWC

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I was going to say it'd be time to consider brake pads. On my silver polo I've ran remsa and now a bendix pad. Remsa's were good, Bendix I think marginally better, but incremental. I'd only done one timeattack with the bendix and they were good.

On the red car (with brembo fronts), I've just installed QFM A1RM's to replace the remsa's. They have much higher temperature capability. So far, the QFM's feel awesome, but aren't off the shelf for factory polo brakes. I don't feel cold braking ability has been compromised. You need to provide Brakes Direct with the backing plates to have pads made for em.
    Agreed, the stock ones do seem to struggle on the track after having driven my red one with the Remsa pads. I did find the remsas pretty good for the price of them.

Thanks for the info though Sean, may look into ones you've mentioned above
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    I used to have the A1RMs in my S3 lasted ages. Didn't really need to be changed when I did replace the discs and pads together.

I probably can find MK4 and Polo backing plates in my garage if I look hard enough.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I used to have the A1RMs in my S3 lasted ages. Didn't really need to be changed when I did replace the discs and pads together.

I probably can find MK4 and Polo backing plates in my garage if I look hard enough.

Gavin
    Good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks Gav

The Pog was dropped in at the exhaust shop today. They gave me a call not long ago to let me know it's all done good to go. Will be good to see the difference in noise and if there's any change in power delivery once I pick it up after work today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  

Got the Polo back late yesterday afternoon. Definitely feels like it has more power through the low to mid range, nothing drastic but noticeable, that and the colder weather yesterday also helped. Feels like it's flowing a lot better, noise wise there's next to no difference at idle or low revs, slightly louder on WOT, but I expected that and knew most the noise was going to come when the 3" cat back section is added. Overall pretty happy with how it turned out

Got some of the supplies I'm going to need for this weekends catback swap. Going to make it myself with the help of one of my co workers. Muffler is on the way aswell as the flanges and flange gaskets. Went with 304 3" Stainless tubing as our supplier doesn't stock mild steel and the price was fair anyways. Looking forward to getting it all together
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  
    Last edited by louis19; 14-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Good work. I have plenty of ear plugs here at work if you need them! ����

Put my catback together this weekend. There was a lot of few trial and error scenarios for placement of flanges and getting the stock mounts to fit the bigger sized tubing, getting in and out from under the car but by yesterday afternoon we had up until where it needed to go up and over the rear assembly completed and had tacked together the angles for the rear section where the muffler will sit. Unfortunately my rear muffler didn't arrive this week due to issues with the postage from the weather in Sydney this week So the car was only running straight through to the rear section with no muffler and it was ridiculously loud!

Got the car back up on the wheel ramps today, pulled the first half of the catback back out and welded in a resonator. Then finished making up the second half and got it all bolted on with a temporary straight piece where the muffler will go until the muffler arrives. Then it'll just be a matter of removing the second half, cutting out the straight and welding the muffler and mounts on.

As it stands at the moment its loud but at least street drivable with the resonator and the added piping, where as yesterday it was wayyyyy to loud as you can imagine.

Heres a few shots I tried to get along the way.

Here's some pics of the old gear out, tube sizing comparison and a few others throughout the process so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  

Louis19's Build Thread-image-jpg  

Successful afternoon, got the finish the catback after work once the muffler had arrived. Its smaller then what I wanted to use and is only mild steel but it muted the exhaust a little and removed the raspy noise so its clean and deep now. Ended up making a 3" tip with some left of piping. The whole lot cost me just over $300 which I was pretty stoked with considering the best quote I got was $650 for 1 muffler and using mild steel, so I ended up way ahead with higher grade materials

Heres few more shots I took along the way and a quick clip of it at idle.

GTI Polo 3" Turboback exhaust idle noise - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louis19's Build Thread-11208911_10152418168428078_1514136834_n-jpg   Louis19's Build Thread-11216165_10152418168478078_1480296288_n-jpg  

Last edited by louis19; 04-05-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast