Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag

good to see things coming along. Glad you were the guinea pig on the bumper holes - I've been meaning to do that for a while if only hidden under the number plate though. Did you trim the lips off the crash bar underneath/behind the holes to let more air over the bumper and onto the IC/radiator, or did you need to do that for IC fitment?
    So are you staying 1780cc and stock compression ratio or doing an over bore?

Love the kitchen pic - probably would make a good blender!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Louis19's Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    good to see things coming along. Glad you were the guinea pig on the bumper holes - I've been meaning to do that for a while if only hidden under the number plate though. Did you trim the lips off the crash bar underneath/behind the holes to let more air over the bumper and onto the IC/radiator, or did you need to do that for IC fitment?
    So are you staying 1780cc and stock compression ratio or doing an over bore?

Love the kitchen pic - probably would make a good blender!
    Thanks Sam. The trimming of the crash bar was for fitment, but a bonus for flow. The IC is bloody snug in there.

I'll be staying 1780cc. Don't feel the need to go bigger, especially with what others have achieved with a 1.8 around the world.

The last lot of bolts needed for the engine build are on the way so I'm not far off having that sent to the builders. Exhaust manifold is on its way, tyres should arrive today or tomorrow. Checking things off the list slowly
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    nice. hey what's the go with the BJX crank. Its my understanding that its not forged - is that correct? Are you going to be running the standard crank?

edit: one more question. Are you running an adjustable timing pulley on your inlet cam or fixed timing and still using VVT
    Last edited by sambb; 08-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    nice. hey what's the go with the BJX crank. Its my understanding that its not forged - is that correct? Are you going to be running the standard crank?

edit: one more question. Are you running an adjustable timing pulley on your inlet cam or fixed timing and still using VVT
    As far as I know, they are not forged and yup, I will be running the standard crank. From the research I've done on lots of differerent setups, the crank isn't the next in line for needing attention after the rods, it's the head, specifically valves and springs on the exhaust side. In saying that though, there's plenty of guys around running 450+hp on standard heads which is why I will leave the head stock for now (probably port the inlet side though) with the option to build that up later if I wanted to.

I'll be running the standard cam pulley, but I believe Troy has gone for the IE adjustable one.

Tyres arrived this afternoon so getting them fitted tomorrow, as well as collecting the last lot of bolts

Pretty exciting Louis! Let me know if you need any help putting things together. Even if it's just passing tools. I owe you from the turbo swap.

Users Country Flag
    Louis is the valve spring issue that you get valve float or they are actually breaking? So whats the answer with the valves - one piece sodium filled or something like that?
    I ask because I'm starting to think I'll take the head off my old motor and get that sorted in the back ground as a moderately ported small port. Once that's done down the track I'll do a bottom end in car refresh ( hone, rods, baffled sump, new oil pump) and wack the good head on. I'd love to do an 83mm over bore and square the motor up a little. It weighs so much for just 1780cc that its seems silly to not add capacity but that needs pistons/$$$.

Louis19's Build Thread

Thanks for the offer Jack!

Sam, Bending/breaking is generally the common way the valves go. The solution is just buying updated springs and valves. They certainly aren't cheap to do, but something I'll consider down the track perhaps. What you've mentioned above is basically what I'm doing with my bottom end but just staying stock capacity.

Tyres arrived this week, so got them fitted and bolted on. They're rather beefy, and I'm pretty stoked with how they look.

Last edited by louis19; 13-08-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Unreal - it looks pretty purposeful now. You're really filling those guards aren't you!

Louis19's Build Thread

Cheers Sam, they don't get much more filled than that - in fact they are slightly overflowing

Few more bits arrived. Exhaust manifold, gaskets, oil pump etc. Going and seeing a engine builder on Friday regarding the bottom end work. Also sourced a large port head AEB head that will be getting all the internals of my 70k kms engine put into it as well as a quick tidy up before it gets bolted all together.

I also went and got some bits and pieces to relocate the battery to the boot to free up some space in the engine bay for the new pipe work and intake off the turbo. Slowly but surely chipping away at the list of things to do!

Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast