Thread: Lightweight batteries

Lightweight batteries

Thanks to the awesome help of Gavin and Louis off this forum, I've recently upgraded my the turbo.

Now I'm left without an airbox and trying to fit some sort of cool intake/air filter in the bay. The only issue is there's a massive battery covered in plastic bits taking up all the real estate.

I know a few people are running smaller lightweight batteries. Is there a consensus as to the best one? The best way to mount one? The polo is still my daily but it sometimes sits for a few days over weekends etc.. I wouldn't want to charge it between drives

Any suggestions are appreciated

Deka etx18l is a cheap stout performer

Cheers Hayden, might give one a burl.

I think my current battery claims 500 CCA whereas the Deka is only 300. That difference isn't going to be an issue? I'm assuming 300 is enough to to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChimps View Post
    Cheers Hayden, might give one a burl.

I think my current battery claims 500 CCA whereas the Deka is only 300. That difference isn't going to be an issue? I'm assuming 300 is enough to to get the job done.
    It runs and starts my mk4 r32 in the cold no sweat.

Users Country Flag
    Full river is what I'm running now. Bigger than the Deka. Watch you get posts that fit the vw leads. I also got a new one earth lead for mine. Off the shelf one from sca, then covered in black heatshrink.

I've used Deka, Fullriver & Odyssey. Odyssey is more expensive but clearly better. You get what you pay for. Modern cars drain power all the time. Unless you want to disconnect the battery when not is use, get an Odyssey with the metal box so it's easy to mount securely. Pay attention to terminal options so you get the battery that suits your cars terminals.

So one vote each for fullriver, Odyssey and Deka..
    Just so I'm comparing apples with apples as much as possible what are the equivalent models?
    Etx 18L, Odyssey PC680? And fullriver HC20?

The Odyssey is more expensive but claims a lot lower CCA than the others. There must be more to batteries than that but I don't know how it's measured.

What about all the plastic gubbins on top of my current battery? I think there's some fuses in there.. some sort of eBay or Jaycar generic fuse box?

It's not attached to the battery. Just sits on top with the cover

I have a small Deka battery in mine. I wouldn't let the car sit a week without driving or charging though. I'm confident it'll start after 3 days, but haven't pushed any longer on the new battery. I had tried 5 days on the old battery and it started, but wasn't happy.

I have a trickle charger set-up for when I'm away and also a custom battery box so am limited to this battery unless wanting to do a new battery bracket.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

I went the fullriver HC20 in the end. On paper it looks the same as the Deka etx18l but it was a fair bit cheaper. I appreciate the sentiment of 'you get what you pay for', but Ive already sunk so much money in to this car it's probably worth trying to cheap out every now and then.

The other thing that got me over the line was the site had a hold down tray that fitted the battery. Saves me having to make something

Normally 3 days is about as long as it goes undriven, but I might add a trickle charger to my wishlist as well

Cheers all!