Support VWWC

Thread: Lights Out

Lights Out

Hey folks,

Recently I thought I was a little unlucky to have a few lights out and ordered replacements. Today, however, my indicator started flashing quickly inside (indicating a lamp out), when I checked outside they were blinking normally, the rear was not blinking but I hit the lens and it started. Did the same to the rear tail light, a hit and it came on. I repeated with the front right driving light and front left headlight, a whack and it they came on!!

When I got back in the car, indicator problem again and headlight didn't come on, a bang again and they started to work. Anyone with any clues? I rule out electronics as they come back with force. Could be wiring, but so many? Will pull it apart tonight and check the connections. Clearly, all fuses and lamps are OK. Also, anyone know if there is a lamp out warning light on the dash? There isn't one on when I turn the ignition so I guess not, unless there is a fuse out. Will check that later too.

Regards,

Will

Users Country Flag
    The bulbs are either no good, or the terminals and contacts in the bulb holders need adjusting or cleaning.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    yeah step one is remove the plugs, check them and if ok spray them with contact cleaner and CRC. Seat them and unseat them over and over until you leave them in and then take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    The bulbs are either no good, or the terminals and contacts in the bulb holders need adjusting or cleaning.
    Thanks guys.

Definitely not the bulbs but contacts did look a bit rusty so I'll give it a clean. Why would banging it help though? Was ok on the way home though after removing from the holder and putting back which is good

Users Country Flag

putting some vibration through the lights probably just rattled the crappy contact in the plug and got it conducting again - for a bit.