Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove the front wiper assemblies? (to remove plastic firewall cover)

Users Country Flag

How do I remove the front wiper assemblies? (to remove plastic firewall cover)

As the topic states, I'm trying to remove both my front wiper arms in order to remove the plastic cover for the firewall.

My aircon stinks of leaf litter, and my pollen filter is clean. Checking between the firewall and the plastic cover, I can see a lot of leaves and flowers and other crap. In trying to remove it, I need to remove the wipers, but even after removing the cap and then nut, they don't want to move.

Any tips/guide/pics anyone has to help me out?

Many thanks.
    2008 Polo GTI, lower honeycomb grills, PD160.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WARFURIC View Post
    As the topic states, I'm trying to remove both my front wiper arms in order to remove the plastic cover for the firewall.

My aircon stinks of leaf litter, and my pollen filter is clean. Checking between the firewall and the plastic cover, I can see a lot of leaves and flowers and other crap. In trying to remove it, I need to remove the wipers, but even after removing the cap and then nut, they don't want to move.

Any tips/guide/pics anyone has to help me out?

Many thanks.
    WD 40 should loosen them
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    My top tip for taking wipers off and with anti tune ECUs it happens often.

If you push and pull on the pivot eventually they come off easily. Put the flat of your hand on the pivot and push repeatedly towards the screen and release. I haven't come across one that won't come off yet with this method.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    My top tip for taking wipers off and with anti tune ECUs it happens often.

If you push and pull on the pivot eventually they come off easily. Put the flat of your hand on the pivot and push repeatedly towards the screen and release. I haven't come across one that won't come off yet with this method.

Gavin
    Thanks Gavin, I'll have a try tomorrow morning, getting too dark now.

Users Country Flag
    Would love to get in there and clean the leaves out of mine but it looks like a bastard of a job getting them wipers off
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I was able to get the drivers side one, but not the middle/passenger side one removed today.

WD40 and a fair bit of back and forth work and it eventually came free.

I gave up after an hour of trying the middle one. Going to borrow a puller from a friend during the week and try again then.

Users Country Flag
    I was able to get the drivers side one, but not the middle/passenger side one removed today.

I gave up after an hour of trying the middle one. Going to borrow a puller from a friend during the week and try again then.
    You can also try a small hammer with a cloth and slightly tap it to try and dislodge it and loosen it up abit, but you'd just have to be very careful. I usually just push and pull on them with the palm of my hand like Gavin mentioned. Although before I take the blades off I mark the windscreen or take a photo where they used to sit just so I can refit them in the same spot, just cause im fernatic like that and then you know they wont rub etc.

Users Country Flag

Put plenty of WD 40 on and leave for a couple of days to let it soak in.

They corrode onto the splines usually so takes a bit to get them off if its been a while since they were last removed
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    As said, bit of WD40, then rock the assembly back and forth. Just be careful, and pay attention, because the bolt the wiper arm sits on is surprisingly brittle. I snapped one of mine and had to replace the entire thing from the motor up - $200 and half a day of adjustment later.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by csimpson View Post
    As said, bit of WD40, then rock the assembly back and forth. Just be careful, and pay attention, because the bolt the wiper arm sits on is surprisingly brittle. I snapped one of mine and had to replace the entire thing from the motor up - $200 and half a day of adjustment later.
    It's a stud they sit on isnt it? With a 13mm nut holding them down? How did you manage to snap the stud?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast