Thread: Which gearbox oil for Polo with Peloquin LSD?

Users Country Flag

Which gearbox oil for Polo with Peloquin LSD?

I know lot of you guys use Redline MTL/Mt90..I only heard good things about them, but I read somewhere that they are not suitable for transmissions with LSD. Is that true? What oil are you using with your LSD? I'm getting my gearbox rebuilt and I want to put the right oil in it..Thanks

Users Country Flag
    I thought that for torsens like quaife ATB, peloquin and wavetrac that run of the mill oem spec gearbox oil was the go since they are just a set of gears really. This link on the wavetrac site might confirm that: Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

I think its more the plate/clutch diffs that have bigger friction surfaces that can be very specific about oils.

^ as above.

I've used the motul fwd lsd oil (expensive) and penrite euro spec stuff with no drama's with my old peloquin

Redline shock proof next with my vwms/gemini diff next. Finger crossed

Running a shock proof style of oil voids the warranty on the wavetrac LSD (it's on the wavetrac paperwork). So yeah, just run normal oil. Mines a full synthethic, perhaps penrite racing...

I've also been told not to run shockproof in clutch plate diffs too. Reason being the shockproof oil has very fine metal fragments which increases wear on the diffs. Though on a plate diff you want to be changing the oil at more frequent intervals than required on torsen diffs.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **