Support VWWC

Thread: Front foglight bulb change.

Question Front foglight bulb change.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

On the drivers side the assembly has one screw holding the cover on which I can remove partially, but unsure how to actually get at the bulb to change it?

Someone told me the under-tray has to come off...but I see no obvious or easy way to do this?

On the passenger side I see now screw, but some kind of plastic pop rivet or similar...is this expected?

Many thanks

Users Country Flag
    The covers just pull out after the screws are out (well mine do anyway, but I may have broken some clips ...) Then you need a torx set to take out the fog lamp assemblies to change the bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I was able to change the drivers side, I found the plastic fascia/housing held on by one Philips screw.
    Once off the light itself was held in by three torx screws, got those out and easily changed the H4 bulb.

The passenger side is another story...
    I can see no screws holding the facia/housing in, and the only thing I can see is a strange plastic clip that does not even appear attached to the facia/housing...I did try to remove this by screwing, pushing, squeezing and prying it...but no joy:

Can anyone advise how I get this off to get at the light please?

That strange thing you are referring to is the temperature sensor just leave it be. As for the grille it's only held by clips so you just have to grab it with hand pull it out
    06 Polo TDi

Thanks, are the plastic tabs liable to break?
    I could try and get a plastic tool to help get the facia out without just brute force.

Users Country Flag
    nup just get your fingers into that hole and give it a good sharp pull straight outwards and it will pop clear. The ambiant temp sensor is mounted to a separate bit of panel separate to the facia.

Users Country Flag
    Just did mine and faced the same problem.
    As Sam mentioned, nice firm tug starting at the center of car.

Didn't take the housing out. I just reached behind and rotated the bulb out.

Thanks guys, you are genuises.

To confirm, on right hand drive polo to change the front fog lights easily:

Driver side, there is one screw in the plastic housing. Undo this and then the housing should pull away easily, possibly needing to be pulled to the side slightly. Once off the fog light itself is held in by 3-4 Torx screws, remove these and the light assembly comes out. You can then easily remove the light bulb itself to change it.

Passenger side, essentially the same as driver side but no screw for the plastic housing. Simply grip it with your fingers between the vents and give it a good sharp pull towards you and it'll pop off. The light housing can then be removed in the same way as the driver side.

Note: I'm unsure if the standard bulbs do this, but on mine I found part of the bulb housing melted on both lights. So you may want to be careful if fitting higher wattage bulbs.