Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy suspension bushes?

Users Country Flag

Dodgy suspension bushes?

So I drove out of my driveway this morning, got around the corner and when I pressed the brake pedal for the first time the steering wheel pulled sharply to the left but the car still going mostly straight. No rattles or bangs. It almost felt like when the lower control bush let go a while ago. These have been replaced with the Seat ones and look fine. What's my next point of call?

Users Country Flag
    How hard were you brakinbg? hit anything lately - big pot hole? Alignment perhaps or did it feel like something broke in that moment?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Normal braking, only doing about 40-50kph. Definitely not alignment, something let go. The car was pointing more or less straight with the steering at about a quarter lock. Turned around quite normal, no strange noises, wheel pointing in the right direction.

Users Country Flag
    does it do it every time you brake? only when braking hard?

Took it for a drive around the block last night, now does it every time I brake. Steering wheel turns sharply to the left about a quarter lock even with light brake application but car goes straight. Pulled both front wheels off and nothing looks out of place. I'm at a loss.

Users Country Flag
    sounds like only the left front brake is working - pull the ABS fuse and see if the right-front wheel locks

That's what it feels like. Pulled the fuse, no difference.

Users Country Flag
    it won't make a difference, you want to stomp on the brakes to make them lock and see what stripes you leave on the road

Had a friend of a friend with a proper jack have a look today. Rear passenger brake not working at all, no fluid coming out when attempting to bleed. Said he thinks it could be abs pump.

Users Country Flag

thought it sounded something like a wheel not working - bleed it at the ABS pump. Hold pressure on the pedal and crack the brake lines at the pump. Just hold a rag around the pipe to catch the fluid

ABS pumps are expensive, so rule out the cheap & easy stuff first - flexible brake hoses can collapse internally, unlikely but there may be a pinch in one of the solid lines somewhere from a rock or something else...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast