Support VWWC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: disabling ESP

Users Country Flag

There might be some coding available in the ABS if you have the knowledge. Along the lines of the weight of the steering on the 6R, which can be changed.

Users Country Flag
    I was modifying the brake settings (in the VCDS brake module) - not the ESP settings

ESP can use both ABS and throttle to aid managing the car
    The only way to get totally on top of ESP is via a ECU flash (which is fairly expensive)

I must admit I turned ESP off at the track but only because I was running semi slicks and the car thought I was in trouble
    Last edited by Martin; 25-10-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I found this quote in a review/blurb about the 6R 1.4TFSI polo gti regarding the elctronic diff:

"A modern extension of familiar EDS functions is the XDS electronic transverse differential lock, like the one Volkswagen presented for the first time on the Golf GTI. XDS improves handling through fast curves and calibrates the car to be more “neutral”, since it prevents slip of the unloaded wheel at the inside of the curve by active brake intervention, improving traction. This system, standard equipment on the Polo GTI, accesses existing sensor data such as steering wheel angle, yaw rate and wheel speeds. The effect: more safety and driving fun, because the Polo GTI steers even more precisely with XDS"

What I'm interested in is the bit about a yaw sensor. Do the Gav's et al out there have any idea if our car uses a yaw sensor or if not where they are normally located on audi's so that I can have a look? I can't find one on the rear beam which is a pretty usual spot. Altering yaw sensor inputs is pretty do-able with hardware so if we have one it may be something I could look into for changing the ESP threshold.

sam

Users Country Flag
    I am pretty much 100% there's no Yaw sensor on the Polo.

They are fitted on cars with Haldex though.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I found this quote in a review/blurb about the 6R 1.4TFSI polo gti regarding the elctronic diff:

"A modern extension of familiar EDS functions is the XDS electronic transverse differential lock, like the one Volkswagen presented for the first time on the Golf GTI. XDS improves handling through fast curves and calibrates the car to be more “neutral”, since it prevents slip of the unloaded wheel at the inside of the curve by active brake intervention, improving traction. This system, standard equipment on the Polo GTI, accesses existing sensor data such as steering wheel angle, yaw rate and wheel speeds. The effect: more safety and driving fun, because the Polo GTI steers even more precisely with XDS"

What I'm interested in is the bit about a yaw sensor. Do the Gav's et al out there have any idea if our car uses a yaw sensor or if not where they are normally located on audi's so that I can have a look? I can't find one on the rear beam which is a pretty usual spot. Altering yaw sensor inputs is pretty do-able with hardware so if we have one it may be something I could look into for changing the ESP threshold.

sam

Ok I suspected that. I read somewhere that if you had a bosch 5.7 ABS module that it would be under the front seat or rear seat. I'll go have a look now. Any idea what code ABS module we have?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Ok I suspected that. I read somewhere that if you had a bosch 5.7 ABS module that it would be under the front seat or rear seat. I'll go have a look now. Any idea what code ABS module we have?
    VCDS and it's on the page where you connect to the ABS

Just a follow up to all this. What I've found is:

1. ESP on: normal running mode means ESP and the traction control is on
    2. ESP off: ESP is still on and only the traction control is disabled. Benefit is you won't get the dreaded power cuts but keep the ESP safety net.
    3. pulling the 5A ESP fuse (2nd down on the right of the fuse box) : ESP and traction control is off. ABS still works.

I finally got to test what effect pulling the 5A ESP fuse has. I did it on street tyres on a drying track and also on a few down hill corners locally that would bring it on. With the fuse in you would feel weak ABS pulses underfoot and the car would stay well mannered on the limit. With the fuse out I couldn't generate the pedal pulses and the car was harder to drive on the limit.
    What I feel with the ESP still operating is a faint version of the pronounced ABS pulsing that you get in a skid stop test - probably because in the ESP situation it is only modulating the brake on one wheel. I just couldn't seem to replicate this with the fuse pulled so I'm not a hundred percent but pretty sure its the way to kill ESP. Wouldn't mind if others could try it to see what they feel.
    Unexpected symptoms are noticeably better fuel ecomomy (on the dash readout) and the fact that the clock resets to 00:00 at each start up. Oh and if you get out of shape, you are on your own!

Users Country Flag
    Does anyone know which fuse disables ABS?
    It would be nice if our models had the ABS disabling switch in the glovebox like the German versions.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

I'll check tomorrow. The one I'm talking about is labelled as ESP/ABS and is a 5A. The ABS fuse is a 10 amp but can't remember the number off the top of my head. If you still have it its in the maintenance section of the cars manual.
    Not sure if it'd be the same on our car ( but it could be because they are close) but I've read forums where guys with seat leon pulled the ABS fuse and found that it made the brakes quite rear biased. Apparently if you have ABS fitted, the hydraulics run to each corner diagonally from the central module and aren't split front and rear like in a normal system. When you remove the fuse, the biasing may or may not be what you are used to. Like I said I've just read this, not done it but maybe something to be aware of if you try it anyway.

Users Country Flag

I pulled the abs fuse some time back, kills the speedo too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast