Support VWWC

Thread: Difference between Polo GTI and non-GTI shocks / struts

Users Country Flag

Difference between Polo GTI and non-GTI shocks / struts

Hi,

I have a set of Koni FSD struts and shocks that suit a Polo 4 9N from 11.2001 to 06.2009 (Koni part number 2100-4041).

According to Koni , it excludes the 'Fun', Cross Polo & GTI.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the standard Polo and Polo GTI suspension (i.e. why these wouldn't fit a GTI?)

Users Country Flag
    My best guess would be that it has to do with the weight over axle ratings. I know that Polo Gti suspension is 15mm lower than normal 9N3 suspension eg TDi etc. But the kits are still compatible due to their weight over axle ratings being the same. I think that's why the exclusions exist for the non turbo Polo's - they don't have the TUV certificate that rates them at I think its 960kg:840kg F:R weight over axle. Eg your static ride heights might be all over the shop because of mismatched load ratings with the front springs unable to support the extra front end weight. I'd say the damper valving and stroke would be incompatible too.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey sambb - great answer and thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense. I wonder if the overall length is the same, or if the strut perch height is different between the turbo and non-turbo models? Unfortunately I don't have a turbo strut to compare.

Users Country Flag

yeah its possible the strut perch is at a different height to clear different rolling diameters of the tyre/rim combos too.