Thread: 1LJ Brakes - 9N Polo GTi

1LJ Brakes - 9N Polo GTi

Hi folks, new to the VW game, just had some questions regarding a 9N Polo GTi we're looking at. After researching availability of used parts, I kept coming across brake discs of '312mm' diameter, and found that they were associated with an option code '1LJ'? It was my understanding that the 9N came with 288mm as largest fitment on GTi, just wondering if anybody could confirm the availability of this '1LJ' option on this vehicle?

I appreciate your help, hopefully we become proud owners and can make further use of the VW community knowledge!

Hi, there's quite a few of us running 312 rotors on the polo's though they require different calipers and sometime carriers pending the caliper. The cheapest way to get to 312's is to source Audi TT or S3 Front Calipers. The result is very good. The stock hardware in 288mm can be made to be quite effective with the right pad choice too. Depends on what you're doing with the car.

You may have to trawl these build threads for more details, or someone may chirp up with more.

Louis19's Build Thread

Gavin's cheapy but getting more expensive GTI
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

G'day dude, thanks for such a quick reply! I have read through a couple of build threads, and the cars certainly look like they will be a great base for speedy mods. It is good to know that the brakes are easily fitted to the car, thanks for clearing that up.
    My primary concern is to whether that size disc was available factory-fitted to the 9N Polo as an option (code being 1LJ)?

Users Country Flag
    I've never heard of a variant with them factory fitted
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

There's no 9n3 delivered in australia that came with 312mm rotors. I'm not familiar with the 1LJ reference... though I forgot lots of things
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

The Cup edition comes with 312mm front. Which isn't available to the Aus market.
    As mentioned above just source one from a mk1 TT or S3.
    06 Polo TDi

Hey folks, thanks so much for your assistance! Seems like an easy conversion either way, so that's great news. Looking forward to becoming a proud owner .

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
    My primary concern is to whether that size disc was available factory-fitted to the 9N Polo as an option (code being 1LJ)?
    if you're concerned about needing them engineered, verify (find documented specs) that the Cup came with the 312mm rotor and you're set