Thread: Polo 6n 1997 1.6 starting problems

Polo 6n 1997 1.6 starting problems

Good day mates

my polo 1997. 6 n 1.6 struggles to start in the morning and after long hours parked, does this car have a automatic choke that doesn't work?

thanx

Users Country Flag
    Try a new distributor cap and rotor.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Zuna View Post
    Good day mates

my polo 1997. 6 n 1.6 struggles to start in the morning and after long hours parked, does this car have a automatic choke that doesn't work?

thanx

Good day to you also... if only the same could be said for your 6n ... No they dont have chokes that you can mess with . When it does start does it run rough?

Are the plugs fouling at all?
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Hi there, nope as soon as i get the car running after pumping the accelerator pedal its 100% fine, i took of the air cleaner off and had a look , when the car is cold and i turn the key until the dash lights light up you can hear a noise and i can see the carbi butterfly opens about 3mm is this normal and is it also normal in the winter that a 6n polo struggles to get going? Like have to start it 3-5 times and harsh thumps on the accelerator before it idles normal???

That isn't normal at all.

Pull be plugs, check if they are fouled and make sure as said above the distributor cap and leads are okay. The fuel pump is what you can hear running before you start the car, that's normal. The fact that it runs okay after you get it running is a bit perplexing. I wonder if you have a leaking injector... What does it do when you leave it sit from hot for say 5-10 mins? Still hard to start up again? Or strictly from cold?
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Hi mate, strictly only when cold. I will keep you up to date after replacing above mentioned parts, its just a shame that vw parts are so expensive, i bought a aftermarket cooling fan from valeo and know the car vibrates like crazy but yeah what can you expect of an 17 year old car!

Bearings in the fans are common to fail... And replacement fans are expensive, it is often cheaper to get an aftermarket one, does it mount to the old mount ok?

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Just another angle does it fast idle on cold start up?? problematic throttle body can cause them to have poor starts too.
    Have you had the Ecu scanned ??
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Users Country Flag
    I agree with Umai, I had the same issue and pulled the plugs which were black. New plugs and it starts perfectly now.

I also changed the the coolant temp sensor in the front of the head as it was only around $20 off ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dino.

SQ5 V6TDI | 911TT | Polo 6C

No mate it doesn't fast idle at all, yet a new problem today!!! The a/c failed, took it to my mechanic and he hooked the gages on them and as soon as the aircon kicked in the psi gage skyrockets so there goes a tx valve and a drier. Nice isn't it? Yeah the valeo fan fits perfect but its the second one in 3 weeks ordered from stokers vw but both out of balance.