Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW

Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW

I had our Polo on a friends hoist to change the fuel filter & noticed an oil leak on the rear of the engine. I figured it needed a new seal.

This is a pic of the breather box after a cleanup & removal of the bracket that supports the cable to the starter.

After removal of box[three screws with 5mm allen key] I found the hose & box completely blocked with oil mixed with water, sometimes referred to as mayonnaise.

I bought a new hose assy for just over $100 that includes the heating element that was no longer working. I believe it is there for cold climates to stop iceing & blocking the breathing. The rubber hose had gone very soft & when squeezed stayed distorted.

Last edited by jets; 05-01-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Can't get Photo bucket to work
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    Hi Jets,

About to do this myself, so if you don't mind me asking mate, I can do this job with jack stands and a 5mm allen key?

I replaced the breather pipe a month ago which was completely stuffed and cracked, and I reckon there is heaps of gunk in the breather case, so I have a new one ready to swap over.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Micky

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Hi Jets,

About to do this myself, so if you don't mind me asking mate, I can do this job with jack stands and a 5mm allen key?

I replaced the breather pipe a month ago which was completely stuffed and cracked, and I reckon there is heaps of gunk in the breather case, so I have a new one ready to swap over.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Micky
    Yes you can without issue, it's not 'hard' you just need to feel the top bolt as you won't be able to see it, but yeah.... Not difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I can do this job with jack stands and a 5mm allen key?
    Just spotted your post. From the date on my post some time has passed since I did mine.[no longer have our Polo]
    I did mine on the floor & from memory an easy job.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Just spotted your post. From the date on my post some time has passed since I did mine.[no longer have our Polo]
    I did mine on the floor & from memory an easy job.
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiff View Post
    Yes you can without issue, it's not 'hard' you just need to feel the top bolt as you won't be able to see it, but yeah.... Not difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the follow-up, I will give it a crack on the weekend!

-------------------- UPDATE -----------------
    Ok, so this weekend I replaced the oil separator on my 6N2 Polo with AHW engine.

As mentioned from the guys here, the job (once you tackle it properly) is not that hard, but I will say it is tedious, more so take off the very top 5mm allen bolt. As mentioned by Jets the bracket that supports the starter cabling needs to be removed, this is quite easily done with a 13mm socket wrench or ratchet.

I didn't get to do much pics of the install but as mentioned all you need is:

5mm allen key (3 x 5mm allen bolts to remove)
    5mm stubby allen connected to an extension (purely to remove the rest of the bolt after loosened and reinstall as much as possible, by hand)
    13mm socket with ratchet (1x 13mm bolt to be removed, supporting bracket)

From there it is quite easy... I must mention I did this job using jack stands and lying on my back to do the removal and installation, no the most comfortable, but only option I had.

If you are using jack stands and laying on your back, it is best to take the 2 lowest allen bolts with your right hand coming from the side, and then your left hand to go for the top allen bolt, (you won't see the top bolt or have access to it if you don't remove the bracket as mentioned)

Again sorry not enough pictures, as I am mostly adding pics for the "shock factor" of what the oil separator was like

Similar pic to Jets here from his original post.

After some hacksaw work this was found inside!!!

Totally disgusting, is what found inside that is for sure, and if anyone is doing this job, I do not suggest to try and clean it out, just buy a new oil separator and breather hose if you have not already.

Now for part numbers (remember this Polo is a 6N2 model 1.4L / Engine: AHW / Power 55kW) as I believe this is the only engine type that ever entered Australia)

Oil separator:

Original VW part: 036 103 464 G
    Aftermarket FEBI part: 38773 (I used this part and purchased from amazon.de, remember 20% vat is taken off price for Aussies )

Breather hose:

Original VW part: 036 103 493 BB
    Aftermarket YILDIZ HORTUM part: 14408 (I used this part and purchased from turbohortum.com (23 Euro all up and expressed in 3 days!) ,mine however does not have the heater element, just the hose one piece, please check your model, as it may have the heater element!) - (The hose itself is quite thick and firm, probably better than the original VAG part in my opinion, however will see how it goes in a year)

When re-installing the oil separator, make sure to install the breather hose again to it (in it's correct position to connect to the air filter box!), if the new one is quite tight (which I imagine it would), just put the hose in some hot water for a minute or two and try to get rid of any water inside and then it will easily connect/slide onto the plastic hose connector from the oil separator.

I think anyone who has a 6N2 should look into this, as it is a common problem and should be looked at asap, and if necessary changed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW-img_3221-jpg   Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW-img_3257-jpg  

Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW-img_3258-jpg   Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW-img_3259-jpg  

Blocked breather on 6n2 AHW-img_3260-jpg  
    Last edited by Micky; 31-07-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks for the update Micky. It's detail & pictures like yours that help others on this forum. Well done.

mmmmm looks like mayo.

Is your engine using any water? ive had one apart before too and it was nothing like that, it was black firm carbon, not that sort of consistency.

Just curious.
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiff View Post
    mmmmm looks like mayo.

Is your engine using any water? ive had one apart before too and it was nothing like that, it was black firm carbon, not that sort of consistency.

Just curious.
    Hi Pontiff,

As I only got this car around 2 months ago, silly me never noticed the huge crack in the original breather hose, as it was on the underside which I could not see, so I imagined as it was like this for a while, that there was a lot of moisture entering inside and causing it to mix with the oil and cause this (mayo), I checked the top of the hose today and looked in the air box, still clean as a whistle, so again the neglect of this bad hose (originally fitted) that was cracked was the culprit of this mayo.

Oil levels have also been good.

----

Thanks for your nice words jets!

---

Now I have a bit of play with the clutch pedal and I am hoping it is not the pedal box, otherwise I am in for some fun!
    Last edited by Micky; 05-08-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Just wanted to reply as an update:

Almost a year after I did this job and all is well, motor is doing fine and going strong as ever...that a 1.4 can do

Breather hose (aftermarket) purchased for this job looks in excellent condition and no sign of mayo at all in the hose after placing a rod with some cloth at one end as far as I can shove it down.

I will need to post some pics when I get around to it.

Thanks for the update with positive results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast