Thread: AEE Motor Change over

Users Country Flag

AEE Motor Change over

Hi All,
    I've been charged with the Job of replacing my Son's Engine in his 1996 Polo 6N 1.6L
    He bought the car last week and within 2 hours of driving it, it through No.3 Rod through the block and destroyed the starter motor it also blew out the front of the block just under the Exhaust Manifold,
    I have ordered a replacement Motor which I pick up tomorrow, Ive stripped back the blown motor of all connecting pipes and loom

1: My question is will the engine come out by itself or will I have to pull the Transmission out with it

2: If the engine will come out by itself what are the tricks to getting it out

Volkswagen
    Polo
    09/96
    1.6L
    AG
    6N

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks in Advance Graeme

Users Country Flag
    Give Matt at Camden GTI a call - 02 4627 3072. He's done heaps and is a nice guy to talk to.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Paul

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Paul,
    I just don't like to bother guys that are trying to make a Dollar,I pick up motor today hopefully fit it tomorrow
    I'm a bit desperate so I might Bother Matt some time today, I will post on here how its go's
    Cheers Graeme

Users Country Flag
    Motor and box come out together.

If you've got a hoist, drop the whole lot out the bottom.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I've done this plenty of times and you can drop it out the bottom if you like or you can disconnect the front lock carrier of the car and swivel it out of the way and take the engine and transmission out as one assembly straight out the front.

To disconnect the drive shafts from the transmission i just put a flat ended screwdriver through the brake caliper in the disc vent to stop it moving and crack it off that way. Remember to remove the fuel pump relay (or disconnect pump from under the back seat and run the lines out of fuel) or it will spill when you disconnect the line to the fuel rail.

If you also have an engine stand and if the sump pan is not 1,000% dry then consider re-sealing it before the engine goes back in as they can be a bit of a pig to remove and re-seal later and for the sake of $15 in sealant, I would do it.

also check the crankcase breather hose as they are ALWAYS soft and while you're there, go to supercheap auto and find a hose that is comparable. I 'think' its a holden VK commodore heater hose that i buy and just cut a bit which has the approximate same bends in it.

be VERY careful when removing the hoses from the thermostat assembly as they can get brittle over the years and if you crack one, its about $70 from the UK to replace it. remove them from the thermostat housing end and not the bulkhead end as if you break one of those connections its dashboard out and a bigger job than you really wanted (been there done that)

Likewise when you are reconnecting all the hoses, use standard hoseclamps rather than those annoying spring ones that will be on it.

Take the thermostat out too and inspect the thermostat flange and they also break and since it would be simple to check it.... just give yourself the peace of mind as the flange cracks off internally and then the thermostat doesn't open.

and clean off the area on the block where the engine number is as you will probably have to let your roads authority inspect it or something and its a bit of a pig to read if its not nice and clean.

Replace the timing belt while you're there too

WD40 the crap out of the exhaust manifold bolts as they may either sheer of (done that) or just get stuck in the manifold (done that too)

Im sure there are other tid bits i have forgotten but its close enough
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag

^This guy knows.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0