Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Start DSG?

Roll Start DSG?

Can you roll start a Golf with a DSG Gearbox?
    VW Golf 118TSI DSG - Sports Pack - Reflex Silver

Interesting question.

If you roll the car in neutral, and drop it into D at the desired speed, the mechatronic will either
    1) select first and second gears and then drop one of the 2 clutches depending on speed, and car will start like a normal manual.
    or
    2) leave the clutches disengaged and you will keep rolling with no engine action.

Try it out on a hill and let us know.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Quote Originally Posted by glennbot View Post
    Can you roll start a Golf with a DSG Gearbox?
    No. I think this is also mentioned in the manual.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't advise it. I know you can do it in automatics, but they are much tougher, DSGs are "brittle". Why would you want to do it anyway? Quick three point turns?
    '01 VW Bora V6 4motion - gone
    17x8 TSW Hockenheims ~ TyrolSport Brake Upgrade ~ SMF + Stage 1 Clutch ~ 42DD Shifter Linkages ~ FK Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by Yevvy View Post
    I wouldn't advise it. I know you can do it in automatics, but they are much tougher, DSGs are "brittle". Why would you want to do it anyway? Quick three point turns?
    You can do it in automatics? Please advise one automatic that can do this - I have owned at least 10 automatics over the years, and not one of them could be roll started.

Why would you want to roll start a car? Der - flat battery perhaps?

Where do you get the information that automatics are "tougher" and DSGs are "brittle". All autos are designed for and rated to a maximum torque and a maximum rpm input, and that is how their "toughness" is established.

Please quote reliable, factual source for this DSG "brittle" opinion.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag
    Oops, sorry. Shouldn't have said brittle just assumed, because of the limited torque.

About the roll start an automatic (dropping it from N to D), did that heaps of times in my old subaru, and not a single problem. It would select a gear depending on the speed (usually higher). But then it was pretty tough because I could rev it to 4k in N then drop it in D and it could take it multiple of times (forgetting i was in neutral at the lights).
    17x8 TSW Hockenheims ~ TyrolSport Brake Upgrade ~ SMF + Stage 1 Clutch ~ 42DD Shifter Linkages ~ FK Coilovers

About the roll start an automatic (dropping it from N to D), did that heaps of times in my old subaru, and not a single problem. It would select a gear depending on the speed (usually higher). But then it was pretty tough because I could rev it to 4k in N then drop it in D and it could take it multiple of times (forgetting i was in neutral at the lights).
    A "roll start" (also known as a push or bump start) is starting a car with a flat battery by pushing/rolling it. Done by engaging a low or reverse gear with ignition on and dropping the clutch.

You never did that heaps of times in your subaru.

Users Country Flag
    I'm sorry guys, missunderstood. I indeed didn't do it in my subaru, nor that I know how it can be done in a manual either. Sorry again, my mistake

Users Country Flag
    Oops, sorry. Shouldn't have said brittle just assumed, because of the limited torque.
    Also, since when is 450NM 'limited torque' ?
    APR's ECU update plus 3" Quad-tip full exhaust puts up the power to 200KW and torque to 430NM and the 6 speed DSG in MKV GTI handles it fine!

Manual for the MkV (gonna be no different) says it should not be attempted due to technical reasons. In a traditional auto it's not possible as there is no fluid circulating when the car is off (rolling in gear when engine is off is like rolling in neutral). Not familiar with the inner workings of the DSG but is probably due to a similar reason. I'm sure even if it was physically possible there would be some sort of electronic interlock preventing it from working like you'd want or you think it ought to.
    Last edited by Jase; 12-05-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    HAVE: '12 SUPERB ELEGANCE SEDAN 103kW 4x4 TDI DSG | LAVA BLUE | SUNROOF | KESSY | 3x BLINDS | PARK ASSIST | PADDLES | TINTS | NOKYA YELLOW FOGS | TOWPACK
    HAD: '09 MKV JETTA TDI DSG | SALSA RED | XENONS | TOWPACK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast