Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Quote Originally Posted by dylan1988 View Post
    Hey guys,

I purchased a 2010 model (STOCK) Volkswagen Golf GTI MKVI (Late 2009 build, old revision timing chain and guide) in March of this year. The car has had full Volkswagen service history shared across Sydney City Volkswagen (previously Barloworld) at Mascot, and the Denlo Group Volkswagen in Parramatta for the last 7 years since new. I am the second owner, the original owner took great care of the vehicle, ensuring that it was always serviced on time. He kept every service invoice from day 1!
    Take a stab at getting one of the dealers to sort it out for you and aim for some goodwill off the final bill. Some have been lucky and have had some if not all of it covered.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for all of the replies guys, I really do appreciate it! Well, unfortunately for me the mechanic at Car Master, Kogarah has already started working on the car as of today. So if I pull out now, I'll lose a few hundred or so in labour. Isn't it funny how it took him nearly 2 weeks to start working on it. He asked if I could stop by for a few minutes to discuss his findings thus far...

At this point he is still insisting that I source another engine, he said that my engine has a lot of carbon built up in the valves. He also said that all valves are bent, but he will have to continue to take the head off to assess the damage. I asked "why can't you rebuild it?" At which point he said that he can, if that's what I want to do. Now he hasn't gotten back to me with a figure yet for the repair/rebuild, he said that he'll call me on Wednesday to let me know when he has the top of the engine off. He also asked if I'd like to sell it as is, he seemed very keen to buy it off me. My gut feeling is that this guy is making the damage out to be a lot worse than what it actually is.

What I'll do is take a few photos on Wednesday when he has the top of the engine off, post them up on the thread. Perhaps you guys will be able to confirm what he is saying. I'd like to know for sure, before proceeding with the rebuild. I'd also like to know whether or not I'm being jacked from behind!
    "I love the power glove... It's soo bad!"

Carbon build up is completely normal in direct injection engines and easily cleaned, even as a DIY. It's not a reason for the mechanic to suggest the engine is toast.

Carbon buildup is on its own a costly job due to the labour involved, but once the manifold/head is taken off for inspection, it shouldn't add substantially to the final bill ...

Convenient that he is asking you whether you want to sell it though, may have an ulterior motive (or not) ... hard to say.

Has he done many rebuilds/transplants for this model ?
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    What made you choose CarMaster? Whenever I've driven past there it's looked dirty and disorganised. Has he done a VW timing chain / head before?
    carbon on the inlets is perfectly normal. If the head is off it's easy to clean. About 3-4 hours work - even quicker if the valves are out.

JAYDEE - Bob Mols - is Bob still there? Does he still own the 350 HQ Monaro with column auto? I did part of my apprenticeship there about 35 years back.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Initially, I had intended on having the car towed to VW Village in Kensington and have the guys there carry out the work. I'd heard/read good things about them online, and just about every Volkswagen I see driving around here in the east has a VW Village sticker on the back!

A friend of mine got me in touch with a guy that used to work for Volkswagen in Liverpool, he now runs his own private car dealership. He recommended that I use Car Master in Kogarah, as he usually has his cars serviced there before they go up for sale. He also said that VW Village will charge me a fortune!

I'm regretting it now as I know nothing about this mechanic, simply sent the car there on a whim! As mentioned previously, it feels as though he's making the situation a lot worse than what it actually is. My lack of knowledge about cars isn't helping either...

I know that the mechanic has carried out engine swaps, not sure if he has rebuilt any though. I will ask him when I see him tomorrow. I find it strange that I had to push for a rebuild, not once did he mention it. Perhaps it's a time thing, or could be lack of knowledge... Who knows?

Users Country Flag
    Very few workshops rebuild engines these days (IMO). It's a lost art.

Have you contacted VW to see if they'll cover some of the cost? The timing chain is a known issue (that they won't admit to).

If anyone needs a good workshop near the Sydney CBD, Metro Service Centre at Marrickville are pretty good. They do a lot of BMW stuff and don't blink an eye at engine rebuilds, etc.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    UPDATE: I've decided to no longer go through a rebuild out of fear that it will cost more than an engine swap. Not to mention the mechanics questionable ability to successfully carry out a rebuild. Time is also an issue as the car has been dormant for over 2 weeks now, I couldn't see them rebuilding it before December. I purchased a 2012 Golf GTI MK6 engine (52,000Km's) from a wreckers in Gladesville for $4000 delivered to Car Master. This engine will have the revised chain and guide (no need to replace it until the 150K mark) my engine had travelled more than double, at close to 135,000Km's...

The guys at the wreckers also threw into the sale (at my request) the new style DSG shifter, leather boot and faceplate/bezel free of charge. The shifter in my car is all worn, and the paint has peeled off the buttons. The faceplate was loaded with scratches also.. I'll fit it myself, it should be directly compatible from what I've read (could be wrong)

The mechanic will charge $1000 to install the new engine, all in all $5000 to get it back on the road. Hopefully it ends there, but I guess time will tell. The new engine will be delivered tomorrow morning, and the mechanic said that I "should" expect the car to be ready sometime next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Users Country Flag
    pro tip
    if the chain goes do not spend any money on any diagnosis or pull the head off and have a look, it's wasted money but mechanics will obviously steer you to have a look because hourly rate

good luck with the new engine but i would pull the rubber plug off the cover and verify you got the right tensioner before going further

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by XFJET View Post
    i would pull the rubber plug off the cover and verify you got the right tensioner before going further
    I am visiting the mechanic tomorrow in the hopes of confirming that the new engine does in fact have the revised timing chain tensioner. Can you confirm if this is what the newly revised timing chain tensioner should look like?

HS Tuning - TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update Kit - 06K109467K

Is the part number for the new tensioner 06K109467K?
    Last edited by dylan1988; 19-10-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast