Support VWWC

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Too hardcore for me .. I can take a stereo out and door trims and dynamat the boot. That's the limit of my capabilities LOL ... I'll ask VW when they service my car (last service during warranty period) to check what I have.
    VW/Skoda know the exact engine numbers at which point they changed over to the new/good tensioner. So all you need to do is provide VW/Skoda with your engine number and they can tell you straight away if you have the old or new tensioner. I'm lucky, I have a 2012 vRS and I'm one of the first in that year to have the new tensioner according to my mechanic/servicer.

From experience, it depends who you get on the phone
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    There is an inspection hole in the timing case which you can access by removing the drivers side front wheel, loosening the inner guard and then using a flat blade screwdriver to pop off the plug covering the inspection hole - from there you can use a torch and camera to take a photo of the timing chain tensioner and you will be able to see if its the old design or the revised one.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    has anyone done this in South Australia? if so please advise me where you have done this and roughly how much it was....
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by night_flight View Post
    has anyone done this in South Australia? if so please advise me where you have done this and roughly how much it was....
    German Auto will do it for you for ~$1100 or so.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    German Auto will do it for you for ~$1100 or so.
    Thanks AdamD tried calling Solitaire VW they had no clue what needed to be done...
    GTI carbon steel g, leather, mdi, A.C.C., park parallel assist & RVC, dynaudio, sunroof, R-tails, RNS510, 9WZ, LED reg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by night_flight View Post
    Thanks AdamD tried calling Solitaire VW they had no clue what needed to be done...
    LOL good enough reason to avoid them in that case. Its a reasonably common issue on the Mk6 GTI im surprised they wouldn't have done at least half a dozen in the past few years.

CamChain Tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    There is an inspection hole in the timing case which you can access by removing the drivers side front wheel, loosening the inner guard and then using a flat blade screwdriver to pop off the plug covering the inspection hole - from there you can use a torch and camera to take a photo of the timing chain tensioner and you will be able to see if its the old design or the revised one.
    Found in Skoda WS manual. Don't know version though?
    Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues-chain-jpg

Wish I had of checked this thread earlier. My 01/2010 GTI has just experienced a massive engine failure due to a tensioner failure.
    The dealer has indicated that it will cost me about $4000-5000 to fix and have said that VWA will pay $1000 seeing that I have made no modifications and the car has been serviced as recommended in the service book at the dealer.
    From what I am reading, I think I will be talking to VWA about them paying for the total cost considering this was a known issue and they failed to notify me.
    GTI MKVI DSG|18" Detroit|Leather|Park Assist|RVC|MDI|RNS510

Just got my GTI back from the dealership service department. It has set me back over $5200.
    It is interesting that when I mentioned that the timing chain tensioner failure is a known problem with TSI engines, the service manager denied any knowledge of this despite me referring to the many many post and articles you see when you google "vw timing chain tensioner".
    I am now in the process of writing a letter to VGA to see what they have to say.
    GTI MKVI DSG|18" Detroit|Leather|Park Assist|RVC|MDI|RNS510

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast