Support VWWC

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Users Country Flag

I was hoping something similar may be happening in Australia, or if the lawsuit in America wins, VW / Audi are forced to do a re-call, and get everyone's fixed. and compensate previously grieved customers.

Users Country Flag
    Will never happen.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    But that's America, where consumer law is different and you can sue someone for giving you a funny look.
    haha.. i like that

TBH, here a lot of the Mk6 GTI's are likely to have been tuned. that alone would be used as a reason to defend the legal action from failing chain tensioners which are more prone for pre MY2011 GTI's.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag
    Do you have a problem with your timing chain?

Users Country Flag
    I'm not very hands on with my car, but i recently purchased a 2010 mk6 golf gti with 90k on the dial, so that falls into the range of the cars that seem to have the weak timing chain tensions. But I'm hoping it doesn't have any issues..
    Last edited by Quoc11; 19-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoc11 View Post
    I'm not very hands on with my car, but i recently purchased a 2010 mk6 golf gti with 90k on the dial, so that falls into the range of the cars that seem to have the weak timing chain tensions. But I'm hoping it doesn't have any issues..
    Seems to be a matter of time before they go ... 90k is quite substantial and that's a pretty good run for the car! Personally, with those high kms, I wouldn't be hoping that it doesn't go on you and would rather get it updated for the peace of mind. You never know, it's possible that the previous owner has changed it out too.

I'm with Umai Naa!! ........ fat chance that VW/Audi/Skoda will come to the party and reimburse or even admit there is something inherently wrong with the design of the offending part.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    But that's America, where consumer law is different and you can sue someone for giving you a funny look.
    Australian Consumer Law is actually very good, although most people don't know about it. When the timing chain tensioner went pop in my mk6 GTI (which was out of warranty) VWA were only going to cover about $3000 of the $11,000 repair bill. I called them up and all I had to do was mention section 260 of the Australian Consumer Law and they changed their mind and agreed to cover 100% of repair costs.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    Australian Consumer Law is actually very good, although most people don't know about it. When the timing chain tensioner went pop in my mk6 GTI (which was out of warranty) VWA were only going to cover about $3000 of the $11,000 repair bill. I called them up and all I had to do was mention section 260 of the Australian Consumer Law and they changed their mind and agreed to cover 100% of repair costs.
    What are the chances in getting VWA to come to the party by fixing the tensioner before this happens by quoting section 260 of the ACL?
    2011 MY12 5 door GTI CSG with DSG, ACC/DCC, 18" Detroits, Bi-Xenons, Dynaudio, R LED tails, Kenwood DDX9017DABS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    Wow Tobes! that's awesome news.

Yeah i agree with Quackie, prevention better than the cure....

Users Country Flag

Worth a shot right?
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast