Thread: Timing Chain - Sydney City VW

Users Country Flag

Timing Chain - Sydney City VW

2010 Golf 1.4 TSI

Had my Timing chain + Tensioner and all associated work replaced at 40,000 Km (Mid 2015) (under used car warranty)

CEL light comes on recently - take it in last week.
    My chain is stretched and timing is out.
    P0012 code on my code reader

Now November 2016 at 47,000Kms my timing chain + tensioner and all associated work complete again. This time it is a 'repair kit' with different number codes to original equipment.

Guy at VW tries to tell me there is NO WARRANTY on their work this time because it was a warranty repair and I didn't contribute to the repair.

When I press why a major engine component THEY installed can't last 1yr or 5000km's I get blank looks and avoidance.

You believe this ****?

Quote Originally Posted by bbz1000 View Post
    2010 Golf 1.4 TSI

Had my Timing chain + Tensioner and all associated work replaced at 40,000 Km (Mid 2015) (under used car warranty)

CEL light comes on recently - take it in last week.
    My chain is stretched and timing is out.
    P0012 code on my code reader

Now November 2016 at 47,000Kms my timing chain + tensioner and all associated work complete again. This time it is a 'repair kit' with different number codes to original equipment.

Guy at VW tries to tell me there is NO WARRANTY on their work this time because it was a warranty repair and I didn't contribute to the repair.

When I press why a major engine component THEY installed can't last 1yr or 5000km's I get blank looks and avoidance.

You believe this ****?
    I think it's a try on and I would ask them would they like to become acquainted with the Department of Fair Trading.

Warranty repairs are subject to the same consumer laws as are paid repairs and there is a reasonable expectation that a timing chain should last more than 5,000 Km. I'd have significant doubts that the chain was actually replaced, it's unheard of for a chain to last that short a time.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

so its been 1000km and 2 whole months. I really can not understand whats going on, the car gets driven gingerly by my wife with 2 kids in the back, does very low Km's and I can't even get 3 months of driving out of it without constant CEL and problems.. seriously perplexed by this car and VW SYDNEY.

CEL again. P0016 code again. (this is after the entire timing chain and all associated parts where replace FOR THE 2ND TIME in a year)

1st timing chain replace lasted all of 3000kms. (timing chain stretched)
    2nd now lasted barely 1000km (before CEL)

Cam shaft sensors have also been cleaned then replaced.
    Clutch pack has been replaced.

Any idea what else it could be causing the ongoing issues?