Support VWWC

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    This is very useful guys, I have a 2012 VRS (2.0T) and as mentioned, 2012 was the year the offending parts got upgraded.

Any specific month build, or just anything from 2012 onwards is OK ?

Car is coming out of warranty soon and I don't hear any tappety tap tap from the chain (fingers crossed)!

(Gonna do some Googling to see what I can add to this thread).
    You can remove your drivers side front wheel, loosen your inner wheel arch cover and then access an inspection hole (its about 5cm in diameter - covered with a plastic/rubber bung) in the timing chain cover to see which tensioner you have on your car.

See here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ml#post1106088
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 18-08-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I saw that post of yours ... but I was obviously looking for the easy way Lucas LOL. What are you looking at that denotes it's the upgraded one ?

I am only using these pics for reference .. to find the current tensioner - 06K 109 467K

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=0...-QnG2dUSACM%3A

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=0...ujvbvmFxXpM%3A

Reply #4 has some pics - GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    The revised version of the tensioner has the ratcheted design - this is the fail safe that's been designed into the revised tensioner. Unfortunately none of the photos you have linked to show this clearly. If you look at my photos you can see the ratcheted design (almost looks like the thread of a bolt).

The original tensioner did not have this ratcheted design - therefore if/when it failed, ALL tension was lost and the timing chain would skip. With the revised design, if the tensioner does fail, it will only retract a small amount and wont be enough for the timing chain to skip.

Here is a link to a video which might help also: VWVortex.com - Timing Chain Tensioner replaced

Also see here: How to Check 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner | Humble Mechanic
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 18-08-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Too hardcore for me .. I can take a stereo out and door trims and dynamat the boot. That's the limit of my capabilities LOL ... I'll ask VW when they service my car (last service during warranty period) to check what I have.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Too hardcore for me .. I can take a stereo out and door trims and dynamat the boot. That's the limit of my capabilities LOL ... I'll ask VW when they service my car (last service during warranty period) to check what I have.
    Must admit, I'm in the same (similar) boat.....I'm a driver as apposed to a mechanic.
    My 2010 GTI was a late 09 build, has 90+k on the clock and has shown no sign of wear or damage to the motor as yet?
    My clutch (6M) is even still original.....my nephew says I don't drive it hard enough, maybe this is why it is lasting so well?

It is due for service again shortly, so will make some inquiries regarding timing and inlet issues.
    I would probably notice a huge difference I guess IF I were to just get these things done regardless....It's kinda like when you drive your car every day (only form of transport), you do NOT always see any small degradation to performance or driving status...It could be getting progressively worse each day? Who knows...
    Greg
    2015 Golf R

Unfortunately, when the tensioner goes ... the whole world blows up i.e. catastrophic engine failure.

Seems that kms is not such a good indicator for failure either unfortunately .....

The ticking form start up would be the best indicator, however, I don't think my ears are that good to be able to tell when the tensioner is going and the chain is slapping. These engines sound like diesels at the best of times !

And well done on the clutch - you can drive a car hard and not be hard on the clutch - there is a difference. Explain that to your nephew
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Must admit, I'm in the same (similar) boat.....I'm a driver as apposed to a mechanic.
    My 2010 GTI was a late 09 build, has 90+k on the clock and has shown no sign of wear or damage to the motor as yet?
    My clutch (6M) is even still original.....my nephew says I don't drive it hard enough, maybe this is why it is lasting so well?

It is due for service again shortly, so will make some inquiries regarding timing and inlet issues.
    I would probably notice a huge difference I guess IF I were to just get these things done regardless....It's kinda like when you drive your car every day (only form of transport), you do NOT always see any small degradation to performance or driving status...It could be getting progressively worse each day? Who knows...
    As Tuan said, if the tensioner fails you will know about it because the engine will no longer operate. And if your inlet manifold was to fail, you would hear/feel the difference and you would have a warning appear on your dash asking you to take the car into a mechanic. Unless you are made of money, you wouldnt replace a working inlet manifold with a new one jsut for the sake of it. The tensioner however, might be a good idea because if this fails it will cost you thousands.

As for the clutch, my GTI is on 81,000km with the stock clutch, and the past 20,000km have been at stage 2. No signs of slippage yet, although i don't abuse the car by doing burnouts and smacking gears etc....but it will start to slip at some stage simply due to the increase in torque over standard.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

The tensioner in my 6 year old 95,000km 90TSI has rattled on and off for the past couple of years, but recently got bad enough to merit a trip to the dealer. VW Australia agreed to replace it under warranty subject to a reasonable (to me) part-payment because the car had been regularly serviced elsewhere. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to achieve that outcome.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag

But that's America, where consumer law is different and you can sue someone for giving you a funny look.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast