Thread: Strange rattle noise, EPC light and Engine fault, Cam sensor code

Strange rattle noise, EPC light and Engine fault, Cam sensor code

Hi guys,

I have a strange issue with my car and I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas.

Car is late 2009 Golf GTI

Currently the car starts fine and idles but makes a rattle noise. It throws a cam sensor error code.

When driving the car can hesitate and then when you hit 2000rpm you get the EPC light on the dash followed by beeping and Engine Fault on the dash. Foot off accelerator and the revs drop and error goes away.

The car has had a new tensioner as I had the old style and originally thought it might be the dreaded tensioner failure. With the new tensioner the car still has the same issues.

Other things I have tried are

Cam Sensor
    Magnetic Actuator
    N205 Valve
    Cam Bridge

Timing is spot on.

So finally when I unplug the vari cam assembly the car run perfectly, no noise, revs through the rev range. Obviously down on power due to no cam adjustment but runs perfect.

I am scratching my head a bit now and I can only think its the actual vari cam unit on the end of the cam shaft is advancing the timing at idle and screwing everything up. I don't think the vari cam is serviceable and is super expensive for a new one and I want to try everything before I go down that road.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be electrical and the cam actuator is getting the wrong signal?

Cheers
    Beavis

I reckon its the coils.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk