Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still own your Mk6 GTI from new?

Users Country Flag

Mine's a June 09 build, ~155Ks and still going strong. Recently doing more and more track time without any major hassles. Super happy with this car.
    MkVI Golf GTI

Yep, Aug 11 build MY12. I've owned it since Dec 11, 106k on it now. APR tuned 2 weeks after I bought it.

Had the following non-standard schedule stuff installed/changed/fixed.

Dogbone insert at 15k
    Water pump failed at 72k
    Drivers door power window switches broke and replaced at ~85k
    Front rotors and pads done at 90k
    Interim DSG fluid change at 90k (in addition to the scheduled 60k one)
    Coils, plugs, carbon canister and N80 valve all changed ~95k
    PCV changed at 105k
    Edit...forgot the DV+ installed at 105k

Midway through my 3rd set of tyres, car is going very well now. Ready for another 5 years or so!
    Last edited by Dan_3MPS; 06-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Still own your Mk6 GTI from new?-img_1589-jpg
    Owned since 5/2010. Car still drives great. Couple of issues through out it's life but nothing major really.
    Still love it.

Users Country Flag
    I've owned my Sep 11 MY12 build GTI since Dec 11.

Pretty much stock standard apart from the R LED tails. Still love the damn thing. No major fault so far thankfully but I did get the timing chain tensioner replaced a few months back.

New set of wheels going on soon though. SSR GTX01 18x8 +45 in Dark Silver. Soooooo looking forward to it!
    2011 MY12 5 door GTI CSG with DSG, ACC/DCC, 18" Detroits, Bi-Xenons, Dynaudio, R LED tails, Kenwood DDX9017DABS

Quote Originally Posted by Crowda View Post
    Owned since 5/2010. Car still drives great. Couple of issues through out it's life but nothing major really.
    Still love it.
    I wish I got black. Nothing beats it.
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Users Country Flag
    Not a GTI but I've had mine since new. Only issue is the radio switches itself on and off constantly...other than that, perfect.
    2010 90TSI Manual / Comfort Pack / United Grey
    RICE - Leave the useless wings to the Penguins...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by craig_the_german View Post
    Not a GTI but I've had mine since new. Only issue is the radio switches itself on and off constantly...other than that, perfect.
    You will probably find you have a faulty ignition switch as the radio turning on and off constantly is the main symptom. When i purchased my 2010 GTI 2nd hand the radio was doing the same thing and when i hooked up my VCDS cable it reported 4 or 5 errors all pointing back to the ignition switch. So i purchased a new switch from ECS Tuning ($53 USD) and a few hours work (DIY but its not a fun job) and it was all fixed.

MK6 GTI ignition switch errors?!?! - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Mk6 gti head unit

Users Country Flag

Mk6 GTI

We've still got our 2010 3-Door from new, approx. 155K on it. It's been reliable for us to date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Still own your Mk6 GTI from new?-img_0503-jpg  
    Last edited by thefitzies; 10-10-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: upside down photo

1st post here! Skulking around the Mk6 section as I'm looking to buy a used example. If you have owned a 2010/11 model from new have you upgraded the timing chain tensioner? Wondering whether you've upgraded them without question or not.
    Good to read positive opinions in this thread.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by clio View Post
    1st post here! Skulking around the Mk6 section as I'm looking to buy a used example. If you have owned a 2010/11 model from new have you upgraded the timing chain tensioner? Wondering whether you've upgraded them without question or not.
    Good to read positive opinions in this thread.
    If it were me, I'd be looking for a 2012 + model VW Golf GTI with the revised timing chain tensioner and guide. I'm the second owner of a stock 2010 (late 2009 model) Golf GTI MK VI non-revised chain and guide, complete service history with Volkswagen dealerships. Unfortunately the timing chain has slipped on me at 135,000Km's (timing chain tensioner is supposed to last 200,000km's), and now looking at my options for a top end rebuild or engine swap : ( Do yourself a favour, go for a 2012 + model. If you do decide for a pre 2012, pay the $1100 to have the revised chain and guide installed for peace of mind.
    "I love the power glove... It's soo bad!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast