Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing your car - what to do

Users Country Flag

Storing your car - what to do

Hi All

Received my car about a month ago (still loving it). In 4 weeks time Im off o/s on holiday. To date I have done 1400km in those 4 weeks and would expect this to double before leaving. Question is what do I do with the car. I've had numerous offers from people who are willing to drive it in my absence but Im looking for a suitable alternative
    Do I remove the battery and store the car for 3 months? Seeing the car is almost new will not using the the car affect the engine in anyway? Do I get somebody to do a weekend drive in my absence. Any advice appreciated.
    Golf Mk VI GTI - Candy White, 5 Door, Manual, Leather, 18" Detroit Wheels, ACC, MDI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGolf4Me View Post
    Hi All

Received my car about a month ago (still loving it). In 4 weeks time Im off o/s on holiday. To date I have done 1400km in those 4 weeks and would expect this to double before leaving. Question is what do I do with the car. I've had numerous offers from people who are willing to drive it in my absence but Im looking for a suitable alternative
    Do I remove the battery and store the car for 3 months? Seeing the car is almost new will not using the the car affect the engine in anyway? Do I get somebody to do a weekend drive in my absence. Any advice appreciated.
    I hate you. Now that out of the way, I would either:

a) Get a family member thats odler and trusted to drive it on the weekends or once a week.

b)If you dont have anyone trusted, take the battery off and let it sit.

Try for option a).

Cheers.. while I wait till OCT for a car.. this guy has one he cant drive!!
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the advice REXman

I feel your pain. I ordered my car in Mid Nov with promised delivery in March. Got the car 4 weeks ago. 6.5 month wait. But was worth it.
    Golf Mk VI GTI - Candy White, 5 Door, Manual, Leather, 18" Detroit Wheels, ACC, MDI

Users Country Flag
    if you have someone trusted to drive it once a month for half an hour then that would be the best option, however if not there a several precautions you can take.

A few years ago I had to store a fairly new WRX when I was seconded OS for 8 months. I used a vehicle storage facility as the company was paying. The only precautions taken were:

Tank almost empty so it could be topped up with fresh fuel immediately after picking it up. For 3 months you shouldn't need to worry about the fuel going off.
    Battery connected to a charger once a month. If you had a small smart charger you could leave it connected.
    Tyres pumped up to maximum pressure shown on the sidewall. The facility operator said this reduced the chance of a permanent out of round condition. He also said that for storage longer than a year he recommended removing the wheels and placing the car on blocks.
    Oil change the week before. Probably not applicable given your cars almost new.
    Made sure the car was fully warmed up at the end of a 1/2 hour trip when it was turned off for the last time.

The car wasn't turned on once in the 8 months and when I picked it up I put some fresh fuel in, set the tyre pressures and drove it away as good as new.
    Last edited by prise; 26-06-2010 at 08:43 AM.

It's only 3 months ,I wouldn't disconnect the battery because you'll have to reset everything when you reconnect it, I think it is also required to be connected for the imobilisation system.
    Just inflate the tires about 5 or 6 psi above normal and buy a good breahtable car cover. I take it you have a garage .If not then rent one or find a storage company.
    There is no need to drive it. I mean hell it was probably sitting just as still on the wharf in Germany and then on the boat and then on the wharf here before you got hold of it .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    It's only 3 months ,I wouldn't disconnect the battery because you'll have to reset everything when you reconnect it,
    Agree - but only if you charge it at least once. Car batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged (they are not deep cycle batteries) and if youu let that happen the battery life will be reduced.

Users Country Flag
    Assuming you have a lock up garage and storage is not a problem just pump the tyres up a few psi and buy a trickle charger.

I have one for a infrequently ridden Fireblade during winter. They work a treat.

If you do not have a lock up garage I would not use a car cover as they scratch the fcuk out of the car in the wind. Even the so called soft scratchless covers. Go hire a lockup garage and disconnect the battery if there is no power source available.
    118TSI - Black Pearl- DSG7 - Sports - Leather - Sunroof - MDI-----here now------

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for all your replies. I do have a lock up garage.

With modern cars you cannot just lock them up and leave them - the battery will go flat within 4 weeks as it still uses power just sitting there. You need to connect a trickle charger to the battery. My son's Polo GTI battery went flat in under 4 weeks when he was away and I left it that long before giving it a run. I was advised that it is not the right thing to do to disconnect the battery as it can create a lot of issues when reconnected.

My daughter was recently away for an extended time and I drove their STI about every 10 days around the streets until engine temp was normal. Car had no issues on their return.

So, my suggestion is definitely get someone to warm it up on a regular basis.
    Mark 7.5 2018 White Golf R with Driver Assist & Dynaudio packages.
    Polo 77TSI White Comfortline DSG - partner drives
    We are a VW family

No one else is going to say it?

I'll look after it for you, I'll make sure its driven every day with the appreciation a GTI deserves...

It would be a shame for such a lovely car to be kept indoors all that time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast