Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Golf (mk 6)?

Should I buy a Golf (mk 6)?

My mother needs a new car and we are strongly considering a Mk 6 Golf.
    77 TSI is ruled out because too basic, 118 out because of too many engine issues, diesel out because of DPF issues (90% of driving is city). So that leaves the 90TSI.
    Im fairly familiar with most models of Volvo as well as Subaru, and know that by picking the right model I could confidently have a car that'll last many years without causing too much pain... but I don't have that confidence with the Golf. There are so many comments on various forums along the lines of "I'll never own a VAG car again" etc etc.
    I've also been told by people not to worry and that the 90TSI is a solid car, but these are the sort of people who say "mine has 57,000km and still going strong"... my mum's last car had 280,000 on it so I am interested in the long term perspective too.

Apart from reliability concerns the Golf ticks every box, but I know I need to be realistic about it too!

So any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
    (I should point out that only manuals are being considered so no DSG concerns.)

Another question - I understand that the MK 5 and 6 are essentially the same but with a restyled body and different engines; the 7 is completely new but retains the engines from the 6. Is that right?

Users Country Flag
    What about the GTI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    From a mechanical perspective on the GTI front - MY11.5 and newer have the new timing tensioner, anything older needs to be changed. Don't let this put you off, they are a great car. Also anything newer than a MY12 I think comes Bluetooth standard. Don't get anything older as you'll be in for $$$ with it.

Mythik - wasn't the corrected tensioner 06K109467K manufactured from May 2012? (therefore MY11.5 is still at risk). Interested as I'm currently looking for a MK6 GTI.

Quote Originally Posted by 846 View Post
    ... but I don't have that confidence with the Golf.
    My opinion is that if the car is for someone other than yourself (who doesn't necessarily care about cars), who is not likely to come on the forum themselves to troubleshoot issues (that may or may not eventuate), buy them something else lol. A Corolla for example.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    A friend bought a MK6 90tsi with the DSG7. I told her not to because of the transmission but she did anyway.

It's proving to be a great car and she loves it. I've only driven it once (Sydney - Broken Hill - Sydney) and it was terrific.

I've asked her how the gearbox is (mainly stop/start Sydney Traffic) and she says it's fine.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Forums tend to give a warped perspective of the overall "market experience" I think, because by and large people on forums are either: ordinary owners with problems; or enthusiasts who come across a lot of problems because they own lots of a particular make/model and deal with everything themselves in a more hands on way.

Now that former group of people are, since a couple of years ago, now largely disassociated from VAG, because of dieselgate. They are the "I will never own a VW again" people, for the most part.

The latter group are by and large still here, giving advice in this thread

The 90 TSI has to be one of the least talked about models there is.... on that basis, seems like a good bet.

I would also think about a GTI, and dont forget to look at brand similes like the A3 and the Octavia, as sometimes you will find that they offer better value for money on the used market for whatever reason - even though the basic car underneath is the same.

Finally, my personal experience with VAG vehicles in general, is that I always end up with a more satisfying ownership experience when I buy the 'premium' trim version of whatever model I am interested in - and often it seems not to cost a lot more to do so, in the used market. I suppose thats another recommendation for a GTI.
    Last edited by gldgti; 23-10-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post

The latter group are by and large still here, giving advice in this thread
    lol .. wonder who you're referring to ..
    RS
    R

Quote Originally Posted by mythik View Post
    From a mechanical perspective on the GTI front - MY11.5 and newer have the new timing tensioner, anything older needs to be changed. Don't let this put you off, they are a great car. Also anything newer than a MY12 I think comes Bluetooth standard. Don't get anything older as you'll be in for $$$ with it.
    If you factor in the tensioner repair into the cost of purchase (and bargaining with the owner) I don't see why you couldn't get away with it with a good outcome !

I have considered another car and a cheap GTI runaround was on my list - there are plenty with high kms when I last looked and if well looked after, they are a bargain. Just look out for the tensioner as mentioned, water pump seal leak (costly repair) and that DSG services (if you're not getting a manual), together with on time services have been done .
    RS
    R

If the car was for myself, I wouldn't think twice about a GTi, but I don't think it's necessary in this case. Also because of budget, it's need to be a mk5.
    That being said, I've no issue with test driving a GTi to see how much better it actually is!

I guess part of the problem is that these cars are too new to be able to know how realiable they are in the long run. But I do get the feeling that they're designed as 'disposable cars' that you keep for a few years and then move on.

Do you think it's worth speaking to a mechanic who's familiar with Euro cars to get an opinion from that point of view?

Ive found a 2013 mk 7 for sale with only 55,000km for 10k. It's a 90TSI comfortline. Sound like a good deal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast