Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret factory feature: Fish pond in the boot

Secret factory feature: Fish pond in the boot

Was rather surprised to find enough water in the spare tyre well to support aquatic life this week. Turns out Golfs have a built in feature called boot vents which let water stream into your car when washed or in the rain. The kicker is: they've both been replaced once already.

After all the repairs, faults and fixes I've had on my Golf, I think this may finally be the one that turns me off the Golf club for good.

Users Country Flag
    Really , never heard of that , what mk6 or what .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Users Country Flag
    Sunroof?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Turns out Golfs have a built in feature called boot vents which let water stream into your car when washed or in the rain.
    Who told you that Rubbish? I've had a Mk5 for over 11 years & NEVER had that & NEVER heard of it.
    Last edited by tigger73; 25-03-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    It's a depressurisation vent, so the doors shut properly.

I've seen some water leaks in my 15+ years in the game, and none were caused by that.

I'd be looking elsewhere for the source. Tail lights, additional wiring (park sensors, towbar wring, etc), perhaps a lost grommet?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    you will find evey car has them, so you can shut the doors!

My Mark 6 has never done this. Has yours been in a rear end accident before?

I had a mazda 3 hatch back many years ago which was rear ended, Post accident the spare tyre well would fill with water everytime i washed it or it would rain. Nobody could fix it so I sold it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey_18 View Post
    you will find evey car has them, so you can shut the doors!

My Mark 6 has never done this. Has yours been in a rear end accident before?

I had a mazda 3 hatch back many years ago which was rear ended, Post accident the spare tyre well would fill with water everytime i washed it or it would rain. Nobody could fix it so I sold it.
    Ill second that. Had a 323 that had been punched up the back and they never got the hatch back to correct shape, also a Focus that would fill the spare tyre well in a decent rain Same reason.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Was rather surprised to find enough water in the spare tyre well to support aquatic life this week. Turns out Golfs have a built in feature called boot vents which let water stream into your car when washed or in the rain. The kicker is: they've both been replaced once already.

After all the repairs, faults and fixes I've had on my Golf, I think this may finally be the one that turns me off the Golf club for good.
    Was the car in the crash shop?
    What repairs were done to it?

It's a Mk 6 1.4 twin charger. Never had rear end body or panel damage. The boot vent seals perished at the top corners and the cracks let the water run down inside. I've got two new vents ordered and will pull the rear bumper off this coming week. I'm going to seal those buggers in place with some windscreen adhesive so they never fail again.

I double checked it slowly pouring a bottle of water down the outside side of the boot seal above the rear lights, flowed down the inside of the vent and into the boot. The way the boot frame drains it passes every drop of water over the tail light cluster seal and the boot vent seal.
    Last edited by Mk R; 26-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Nope, only damage to it was front left door at low speed in a parking lot so I doubt it was that. Perhaps it was some of the super hot days this summer that did the seals in. It was in the western nsw heat over 40 a bit this year. The vent seals seem to be harder than most of the other rubber and plastics on the car.

The rear right one had been replaced before by the dealer so perhaps it wasn't installed correctly. The left side vent is original and leaked much less than the right. Both leaks were no doubt exacerbated by the torrential rain this month in Sydney.
    Last edited by Mk R; 26-03-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast