Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Second Hand" / "2nd Hand" MK6 Golf Thread

The "Second Hand" / "2nd Hand" MK6 Golf Thread

Hi everyone

This is my second post, and as you can tell, I'm looking at buying a Mk6 gti

What I was hoping you could all help me out with is what you would value / pay for a 2nd hand vehicle with the following specs:

Mk6 2009 MY10, 5 door
    <25,000kms
    DSG
    Leather seats, sunroof, media device interface

Would love to get behind the wheels of a gti as soon as I can, but want to make sure I pay the right amount for it.

Any advice appreciated, and if you know someone, or are someone selling something similar, send me a PM!

Thanks

Nick

Users Country Flag
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. Redbook is a starting point but based on my own observations, tends to underprice them. For a 5 Dr DSG MY10 it's giving a Private Sale range of $30,700 - $33,800 but assuming 30,000 - 50,000 km's and np options.

There's one on carsales with the same spec as the one you mentioned but with 67,500km's and they're asking $36,500. They cheapest one is asking $35,000 and has $43,000km's on the clock and no sunroof.

The rest aren't really worth going into because they strike me as people trying to sell a near 2 year-old car for only a few thousand less than the retail price of a new one. I've enquired about one myself and the guy wants $40,000 for a 1 year old three door with no real options. You could probably get it new for about $43,000.

To recap, based on the pricing online, I wouldn't be surprised if they're hoping to settle for 40k flat. Use Corey_R's spreadshet to work out what they would have paid 'drive-away' and assume they got a 5-10% discount in negotiations.

Personally I wouldn't offer any more than about 36k because you've only got about a year of warranty left. But take my advice with a pinch of salt because I'm still catching a train and waiting for the dealer to call me back... its been weeks now

Users Country Flag
    In my experience Golf owners delude themselves that their cars don't depreciate like everyone else's. Find a car you like on Carsales.com.au and offer them 5% less then what they're asking. They'll sell.
    MY09 118TSI - SOLD

Users Country Flag
    I have no knowledge of what 2nd hand cars are worth but I would temper the view that people selling their cars are being unrealistic. The delays in delivery of new cars is such that they can ask higher than anticipated prices. All you have to do is look at in stock prices compared to those that you have to wait for your spec , they are higher because they know you can get it now.

2nd hand cars with low mileage have the benefit of being ready to drive away and generally people that buy the GTI / R take pretty good care of them so they will be in near new condition
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

Like most people would, I jumped on redbook to get a rough idea, but was surprised to see such a huge difference in the rate at which the website was depreciating the vehicles compared to what the market was asking. I think it's a combination of the fact that the golf gti's probably depreciate at a slower rate compared to other vehicles due to the lack of supply and high demand of the new vehicles, and also with sellers being slightly unrealistic in their expectations.

It's interesting walking into the dealership, you just feel like the sales people don't bother trying to sell the car, because they know it's reputation will sell itself, easiest sales gig ever!

I'm thinking an offer of 37k max.... So pretty much in line with Molotov's suggestion. Although the k's are low, it's a 2yr old car, so you'd expect a decent depreciation hit.

Thanks for the input

As per Red Book:

Valuation Results:
    6sp SD Premium Unleaded Intercooled Turbo 4cyl 2.0 1984cc
    Average Private Price+ $32,300 - $35,600
    Trade In Price Guide+ $26,900 - $30,200
    Average km+ 30000 - 50000
    Price When New (RRP)+ $42,990

Average Private Price ($33,950) is ~ 79% of the Price When New (as per Red Book)

(Depreciation of ~ 21%)

Calculate 79% of "Your desired Options" ... add it to $33,950 ...

I would start from there

than Car condition, mileage,...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by txjseries8 View Post
    It's interesting walking into the dealership, you just feel like the sales people don't bother trying to sell the car, because they know it's reputation will sell itself, easiest sales gig ever!
    As I've said in other posts, that pretty much echoes my experience and it's steering me towards the competition.

Patience is a virtue when buying cars so if time is on your side, test-drive a few, make a few genuine offers and wait for a bite.

Let us know how you go.

i bought new as the prices that people wanted for near new was about the same or more.
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MIRSAD View Post
    (Depreciation of ~ 21%)

Calculate 79% of "Your desired Options" ... add it to $33,950 ...
    Options depreciate much faster than cars. That's why it's always bad advice to upspec a car too much. Better to buy the next model up.
    MY09 118TSI - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
    Options depreciate much faster than cars. That's why it's always bad advice to upspec a car too much. Better to buy the next model up.
    This^

All these people speccing there Golfs up with with ridiculously expensive VW options such as Xenons satnav etc etc will be in for the biggest shock come resale time.

I consider the Golf GTi good value at 40-44k not 55k which is easy to do!

As a guide I'd like to think I could get 38k for my MY11 Tornado Red MKVI GTi 5 door with dsg, mdi, 18" detroits and only 3800kms.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast