Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: The "Second Hand" / "2nd Hand" MK6 Golf Thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Ha! I so should have joined and read this thread before buying my GTI.. whoops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GTI is a good car - just have to make sure the timing chain tensioner is the revised part
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

The "Second Hand" / "2nd Hand" MK6 Golf Thread

Thanks @brad! How do I find out that? Was there a date cut off in 2010? According to the books in my car it was delivered in November 2010.

Users Country Flag
    There are a couple of threads in this forum that discuss the issue.

this might help.
    YouTube
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks Brad!

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but am considering a 2nd hand mk6 GTI at some point this year... ive had a skim through this thread but 35 pages is too much to go through 1 by 1.

Is someone able to give me a quick summary on:
    - Particular years to look for, in terms of changes? (ie: Post 2008 MK5's got the full height MFDs etc )
    - Which years to avoid? (I'm seeing 2010 be common for the tensioner issue? )
    - Particular features that may be desirable (LED DRLs etc )

cheers for the help

Quote Originally Posted by jaackyy View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but am considering a 2nd hand mk6 GTI at some point this year... ive had a skim through this thread but 35 pages is too much to go through 1 by 1.

Is someone able to give me a quick summary on:
    - Particular years to look for, in terms of changes? (ie: Post 2008 MK5's got the full height MFDs etc )
    - Which years to avoid? (I'm seeing 2010 be common for the tensioner issue? )
    - Particular features that may be desirable (LED DRLs etc )

cheers for the help
    Anything built after July-ish 2011 should have the new timing chain tensioner (MY12). So the later you go the better off you'll be.

Other than that, I'd look for good service history ensuring all fluid changes were done on time. Once you get past 100k km you may see evidence of replaced coils, PCV, carbon canister, N80 valve etc. Buy on condition rather than km's (generally speaking). See what's out there for options, you'll find a mix so look at some different cars to see what you like. Quite a bit of choice available so you should get a decent one depending on your budget.

For DSG, check DSG service(s) is/are done.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    forget the gti go an R! im selling a MY12 stage 2+ golf R atm hit me up if keen.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by d3vour3r View Post
    forget the gti go an R! im selling a MY12 stage 2+ golf R atm hit me up if keen.
    How much more $$ than a GTI are you selling it for ? HAHA i think that's the biggest limiting factor for most people.. we all want an R, but can't really justify the huge price spike...especially if we're not going to be hooning down the highway as often as we'd like to make the most of the power

Users Country Flag

Don't hate me for asking the same question as others! I have included a few caveats to the usual 'I want to buy a Mk6 please tell me what to look for...' post.

I have put a deposit on a 2009 Mk6 DSG GTI w. 58000km. The dealer is rated as one of the best in Australia, and my dealings with them have been positive so far. They sent it to the detailers after I placed my deposit, and are repairing a small crack in the leather and refurbing two rims (I haven't even seen the car yet). They have also included it's next (major, 69000km) service into the $17k price.

For $17k, it comes with 6months rego, leather and other goodies. The car was purchased new from said dealer, and has been serviced there for its entire 7000km/year lifespan.

Would you recommend that I buy/don't buy this car for $17k, if I can confirm/negotiate the following:

- The DSG recall was carried out, and all DSG services have been completed
    - The chain tensioner has been replaced with revised part, or that they will carry out this work prior to collection

If anyone could also give me guidance on the following, it would be much appreciated:

- I can't find any information on the engine and drivetrain warranty from new, although believe it might be around 50000km, could anyone confirm?
    - If they dispute the requirement for tensioner etc. to be replaced, would it be acceptable to accept an increased warranty for failures due to this part? Or does it leave them wiggle room to say it was from another failure?
    - Would you recommend getting it independently inspected?

Any advice from Aussie dubbers would be much appreciated.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast