Support VWWC

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Second Hand" / "2nd Hand" MK6 Golf Thread

Users Country Flag

I agree! But as per your comment, a more attractive car due to value in options I think will, yes increase demand for that car overs others and in turn raise the asking price.

I do agree with the Detroit wheels on the golf. I think they really are a trade mark and I am sure the seats are too, but I just can't do them lol......

I have found if you apply the standard depreciation formulas everyone is throwing around that you will end up at around the right price. But as per usual there will always be people out there that think their car is worth more than others and they probably will never sell and then there are those who are realistic, not a lot of them around unfortunately. Then there are buyers out there that want everything and the best for nothing.....

Must also say though, that red book is not always right, as they tend to be a bit of a blanket approach and can price very harshly and at times unrealistically. They are a good starting point though when you have nothing else....

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2011 5DR GOLF GTI DSG 6 CANDY WHITE - LEATHER, SUNROOF, 18" DETROITS, MDI, BT

Thanks for the advice guys. Really opened my eyes, especially the comments on how cheap you can get new / demo vehicles, and how much gtrea was expecting for his my11 gti (mate, you know you want that black 3 door... ) at the end of the day a two year old second hand car is going to be worth alot less than what they bought it for, irrespective of options / mods the car has. It's reassuring That gti owners themselves say the cars are going for way too much second hand.

Ok guys if you don't hear from me soon then it means I've come across difficult / unrealistic sellers, or the master tax guide needs a separate depreciation rate just for vw gti's

Users Country Flag
    Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread - have been in the market for a used Mk VI GTI for a few months, and finally made the purchase today.

I ended up paying $39,000 flat for a MK VI GTI, MY10, 33,000kms, with Detroits, Bluetooth, and an APR Stage 1 tune. This was from a dealer, so the price was above what RedBook/Glass' Guide and the market would suggest.

Still, happy with the purchase.

Good luck with your hunting!

Few months? I'm patient but not that patient! Have made enquiries into cars with a similar spec to yours and they are at least 39k asking price from private sellers. Not much in it these days btwn dealer and private prices, don't know how that works? But early days in my search, i'm sure something will come up!

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for sharing mate and congrats on the new acquisition. Was it three door or five door?
    Also, was it a Volkswagen dealer? I know nothing about tuning and specifically APR so how does it affect your remaining warranty. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanoAU View Post
    Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread - have been in the market for a used Mk VI GTI for a few months, and finally made the purchase today.

I ended up paying $39,000 flat for a MK VI GTI, MY10, 33,000kms, with Detroits, Bluetooth, and an APR Stage 1 tune. This was from a dealer, so the price was above what RedBook/Glass' Guide and the market would suggest.

Still, happy with the purchase.

Good luck with your hunting!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    Thanks for sharing mate and congrats on the new acquisition. Was it three door or five door?
    Also, was it a Volkswagen dealer? I know nothing about tuning and specifically APR so how does it affect your remaining warranty. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
    I won't go into too much detail, but the tune definitely makes the car snappier to drive off the mark. It's not an aggressive tune, so don't worry too much about fuel consumption etc.

Also - it's a 5-door, and it wasn't from a VW dealer. One tip - if you're looking at Novated Leasing, you can save the GST on purchase price if you purchase from a dealer vs. a private seller not registered for GST. Just food for thought.

Happy hunting - make sure you've got your finance ready to go, and hit them with a one-time offer. Good luck!

Users Country Flag
    Cheers. Can't do a novated lease but I've got cold, hard cash. Waving it under a dealers nose had no affect though.

just a heads up RyanoAU, with novated leases, any car purchased this FBT year onwards will have a 20% flat rate applied against the base value of your car, i.e. doesn't matter how many KM's you drive, if your car costs $35.1k ex GST, you'll have to pay $7,020 FBT p.a. This amount of course is reduced by fuel, repairs etc. paid out of your own pocket.

Of course you can use the operating cost method for calculating FBT, however I'm prtty sure that most people stopped reading and got bored a couple of lines ago...

moral of the story is you need to do all your calcs very carefully before you think of taking out a novated lease given the change in legislation.

I buy all my buisness vehicles on Chattel morgage's.

Yes you get the GST component back when you buy....but dont forget you have to pay the GST component back when you sell.

Or so I understand it

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the tip TJX - I'm an accountant during the day, so I'm fairly comfortable with the Australian tax implications.

For me, getting a novated lease with all running costs bundled in worked out to be superior to financing it myself, but obviously everyone has different circumstances.

Back to the thread though - I actually think Glass' Guide and Red Book are under-valuing the car compared to market currently. The guides are meant to reflect the market price, not the other way around!

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast