Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retrofitting DSG Paddle Shift Multifunction Steering Wheel to 118TSI?

Retrofitting DSG Paddle Shift Multifunction Steering Wheel to 118TSI?

I was quite disappointed when buying my 118TSI DSG that the paddle shift steering was not an option here in Aus. I've heard that it is possible to retrofit the Paddle shift multifunction steering wheel and am exploring this as an option but was wondering if anybody has managed to do so successfully and how they went about it? I've found the scirocco steering wheel on ebay which is pretty much the same as the MK6 GTI wheel just without the red stitching and GTI logo, which should fit the MK6 golf.
    MK6 Golf 118TSI |DSG|Reflex Silver

My Father in-law has a Passat CC which has an identical steering wheel to my 118TSI.
    It has Flappy Paddles but there seems to be a larger gap between the back of the s/wheel and the indicators/lights arm to allow for the paddles.
    This might mean you would need to replace the indicator/lights arms as well.

Can anyone else confirm my observation?

The DSG gear box is great but the 'D' mode tries to select top gear too quickly and 'S' mode holds gears too long and revs the engine too high. IMO a manual paddle shift would be a perfect solution.
    VW Golf 118TSI DSG - Sports Pack - Reflex Silver

I know Lennock VW here in Canberra offered retrofit wheels for Mk5s, so can only assume it is possible on Mk6s as well. IIRC their price was a bit under $1200.

You could probably do it cheaper yourself by getting a wheel via eBay, but you'd need a VW service tech (independent or dealer) to activate the airbag, presumably.

MY10 S3 3dr

Quote Originally Posted by glennbot View Post

The DSG gear box is great but the 'D' mode tries to select top gear too quickly and 'S' mode holds gears too long and revs the engine too high. IMO a manual paddle shift would be a perfect solution.
    My thoughts exactly! In "D" mode you just dont get the instantaneous acceleration you crave as it tries to hold the high gear before realising you actually want to move and then it downshifts. I notice this especially when trying to overtake, there is just that 1-2 seconds where nothing really happens before it downshifts and sometimes makes overtaking a little tricky. The paddle shifters would alleviate this problem as they are always active even in "D" mode.
    MK6 Golf 118TSI |DSG|Reflex Silver

Users Country Flag
    In all honesty, given the hassle it will take to retro fit the Paddles, its not worth doing. I have had them for the past 2 years and i use them occasionally, but i could quite happily live without them. I prefer using the Sequential on the actual shifter a lot of the time.
    currrently... MY10 GTI | DSG | Candy White | Sunroof | 18's | BT | MDI
    previously... MY08 GT TDI | DSG | Reflex Silver | Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_tdi View Post
    I prefer using the Sequential on the actual shifter a lot of the time.
    I personally can't get used to the fact that VW have the sequential on the actual shifter the wrong way up!
    Everyone who's ever driven a real sequential (instead of an 'automated manual' such as the DSG or 'tiptronic automatic') knows that pull back for up, push forward for down. All race cars (and airplanes yokes!) are that way! What is wrong VW! lol

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    I personally can't get used to the fact that VW have the sequential on the actual shifter the wrong way up!
    Everyone who's ever driven a real sequential (instead of an 'automated manual' such as the DSG or 'tiptronic automatic') knows that pull back for up, push forward for down. All race cars (and airplanes yokes!) are that way! What is wrong VW! lol
    Totally right! I just had an argument with a mate of mine in the passenger seat about the shifting direction. He was saying the Golf shifter made more sense than his Ford. I still can't believe I was actually arguing FOR a Ford! I think I brought him around to my way of thinking. When accelerating, your body is thrown back into the seat, so your natural movement is to pull. When braking, you are thrown forward, forcing you to push. Ergonomic logic versus visual logic.
    GTI MKVI Candy White | 5 door | DSG | ACC | 18" Detroits | Leather | Electric Seat | Sunroof | RNS510 | Dynaudio | Park Assist | RVC | MDI

Quote Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen1a View Post
    My thoughts exactly! In "D" mode you just dont get the instantaneous acceleration you crave as it tries to hold the high gear before realising you actually want to move and then it downshifts. I notice this especially when trying to overtake, there is just that 1-2 seconds where nothing really happens before it downshifts and sometimes makes overtaking a little tricky. The paddle shifters would alleviate this problem as they are always active even in "D" mode.
    Might be simpler and cheaper to get an ECU remap. Try one of the free trials and see if it gets rid of the lag for you. I reckon it will. Nothing to loose.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Do your reckon we could lobby to have the accelerator pedal sense reversed as well?

More seriously though, imagine if you could reverse the tiptoronic sense with some vag-com coding. Unlikely though. I just pulled the top off my gear selector and unfortunately there is a fair bit of circuitry stuck on that little mother making it not for the faint hearted. Otherwise I had envisiaged simply reversing respective T+ & T- contact wires to reverse the sense.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Ah, so its not just me. I assumed it would be the other way too, and occasionally I do move it the wrong way. If you want to break a fall, you instinctively push your hands forward, its the natural thing to do.

Also, is it just me, or do the paddles seem slower to respond than the gear stick? I seem to get a more spirited drive using the shifter rather than the paddles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast