Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repairing/replacing the Mk6 windscreen

Repairing/replacing the Mk6 windscreen

So the Mk6 has a special laminate or film on the windscreen that reduces the wind noise from intruding into the cabin...

If for some unfortunate reason, the windscreen had to be repaired or replaced would this mean that it's going to be a complex affair?

expanding on the question

Not meaning to hijack this thread. But i would also like to add to that question about the bumper bars with factory fitted parking sensors. How would that get replaced as well?

Laminated Screen Replacement

Most windscreens have been laminated for at lest the last twenty years. The screen is constructed of a layer of plastic laminate sandwiched between two layers of glass.

I assume in the case of the Mk VI that this laminate is one with better than average sound deadening properties.

Replacement technique would be no different to that of a normal bonded windscreen.
    You know you are getting old when you cancel your order for a 3.6 CC and buy an Icelandic Gray TDI CC instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    Not meaning to hijack this thread. But i would also like to add to that question about the bumper bars with factory fitted parking sensors. How would that get replaced as well?
    You would drop the car off at a body shop, the body shop would order the parts from a VW dealer, the parts would arrive, someone would paint them, they would fit them and call you up to pick up the car. You would arrive and drive away in your newly repaired car.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah - as with any of these things, as long as you have your car insured by an insurer that guarantees genuine parts (and not substitutes) then it makes no difference to the way you go about having things replaced or repaired. Just read your product disclosure statement very carefully

Users Country Flag
    also, with any body work repairs, make sure you let your insurer know if you have anything special such as paint protect, etc...
    Golf Mk6 GTI | Deep Black Pearl | 6MT | 5dr | 18" Detroits |

Mods Ordered: RTR ECU Remap | 3" Milltek TBE | VW Racing Intake | Revo Intake Pipe |
    Accessories: Gloss Black rear VW badge | OSIR Foot Rest | P3 Gauge | GTI Scuff Plates | Yellow LAMIN-X fog light tint | PIAA Yellow Fog Light Globes |

I can vouch for the improved sound deadening. I was sitting at the traffic lights, no stereo, air con on low; and pulled out when the lights turned green - right in front of an ambulance cutting through the lights. I didn't hear a thing until it was on top of me. I didn't see anything because I had cars in my line of sight - I was second in line at the lights and there were two lanes. Although I blame the guy in front of me for pulling out when he should have seen the flashing lights, I still felt like a right knob.
    GTI MKVI Candy White | 5 door | DSG | ACC | 18" Detroits | Leather | Electric Seat | Sunroof | RNS510 | Dynaudio | Park Assist | RVC | MDI

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Most windscreens have been laminated for at lest the last twenty years. The screen is constructed of a layer of plastic laminate sandwiched between two layers of glass.

I assume in the case of the Mk VI that this laminate is one with better than average sound deadening properties.

Replacement technique would be no different to that of a normal bonded windscreen.
    Cheers - good to know

Users Country Flag

Large crack in windscreen under warranty??

Hey all,
    I've just noticed a large crack about 20-30cm long in my windscreen. There is no point of origin where something has hit it, it is just a single line split starting from where the windscreen meets the roof and travels straight down. Really odd. It's almost like car flex or sudden temp change has caused it?? Can't think of anything else.

Has anyone had or heard anything similar happen? Any advice?

Cheers,
    Rhys

2010 Reflex Silver MK6 Golf GTI
    Sunroof - MDI - Superchip - 19" VMR V710 - Kuhmo Ecsta SPT KU31 - VW Racing Panel Filter

Users Country Flag

some cars have windscreen way too thin for aussie road condition. you can just crack it for no reason just by travelling on rough bitumen...

not sure if it's covered under warranty, need to find the fine prints to see what's covered what's not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast