Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repairing/replacing the Mk6 windscreen

Users Country Flag

I doubt that with the additional thickness from the additional laminates added to the MK6 over the MKV, that it is because the windscreen is too thin.
    Also, if the car flexes that much around the windscreen area, the car would probably need to be written off! So I doubt that is it either. More likely that something has hit the windscreen where it meets the roof and the split has occured.

In any case, you'd need to talk to your dealer.

Angry GTI Windscreen

Just got real lucky...not. Nice 100mm crack in the screen of our 2011 GTI. No cover for this in our policy, anyone gone thru this, and who and how much. Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tessie View Post
    Just got real lucky...not. Nice 100mm crack in the screen of our 2011 GTI. No cover for this in our policy, anyone gone thru this, and who and how much. Thanks.
    I have a chip in mine and when I was at my WV service Dept, I asked who they recommended.
    Apparently they use National Windscreens, Ringwood for any repairs. (convenient location for you)
    I have to get there yet, so sorry cant help with prices

Ph. 9879 6866
    27 New Street
    Ringwood
    Last edited by GTI mk6; 07-08-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Supplied contact details
    Current ride..MY10 Golf MkVI GTI | 5 dr | CW | < DSG >| Leather| Dynaudio | Sensors | Tint | R tails
    Current ride...MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI | 5 dr | CW | Xenons | Alcantara Leatherette /4

Users Country Flag
    I managed to get a stone chip low-down on the passengers side. Used Windscreens Obrien (luckily have no excess on windscreen repairs with my insurance so repair was free).

The repair job is ok I guess, however the process of repair actually causes vibration (high frequency vibrations with cleaning and then resin deposition into the stone chip) and this caused a small crack that isn't spreading. Better than upsetting the windscreen seals with replacement however...
    Golf VI GTI MY13 Candy white/ DSG/ Detroits/ tint/ reverse camera/ parking sensors
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon (Silver/DSG/Tech pack/ Black pack)

Users Country Flag

MK6 GTI Windscreen

I got 2 very small chips in my windscreen (2mm wide and max 1mm deep) and because I have windscreen cover with NRMA, I called them and they arranged for a repair. To my surprise, the guy that called me back said that they were instructed to replace the entire windscreen. Sounded good until I asked if it was a genuine VW part. Anyone had a non OEM windscreen replacement? They said this one comes with the rain sensor pre-glued? Anything else to watch out for?

Seeing as these are miniscule chips and they are out of my sight line hidden behind the rear view mirror, I think I would be more comfortable keeping my original windscreen and have them epoxy fill it. The thought of all the things that can go wrong with on site windscreen replacement and non OEM parts makes me worried. In the case that I am forced by NRMA to take the aftermarket windscreen, is there any warranty issues I need to watch for?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
    I got 2 very small chips in my windscreen (2mm wide and max 1mm deep) and because I have windscreen cover with NRMA, I called them and they arranged for a repair. To my surprise, the guy that called me back said that they were instructed to replace the entire windscreen. Sounded good until I asked if it was a genuine VW part. Anyone had a non OEM windscreen replacement? They said this one comes with the rain sensor pre-glued? Anything else to watch out for?

Seeing as these are miniscule chips and they are out of my sight line hidden behind the rear view mirror, I think I would be more comfortable keeping my original windscreen and have them epoxy fill it. The thought of all the things that can go wrong with on site windscreen replacement and non OEM parts makes me worried. In the case that I am forced by NRMA to take the aftermarket windscreen, is there any warranty issues I need to watch for?
    Epoxy is the way. Non OEM windscreens are rubbish.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 3DR | DSG |CANDY WHITE | WSID 400m 12.1 @ 111 MPH

Users Country Flag
    I cannot stress this enough, don't allow them to put in a non-genuine windscreen. Insurance offerings will always peddle the cheapest option as they legitimately don't give a ****. It's all about the money money money.

Users Country Flag
    Has anyone has experience with National Windscreens Group? www.thenwg.com.au

Starting to feel dodgy with them trying to convince me that it's all the same as OEM. I'm think I'm going to have some firm words with NRMA considering I have been insured for over 10 years and never made a claim before.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
    Starting to feel dodgy with them trying to convince me that it's all the same as OEM.
    I'm betting they're all ford and holden owners with the "OH SHE'LL BE RIGHT MATE" attitude. I bet their cars leak water through their windscreens. Muppets.

Users Country Flag

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast