Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R8 coil packs for the 118TSI

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by quackie View Post
    Ah gotcha. I just asked V Tech about it and will update this thread when I hear back from them.
    Well I got a pretty prompt response from V Tech.

There is no difference beside part numbers due to different R8 engines.
    Overall same coilpack.

The 06e revision F is newest and one of recommend going
    2011 MY12 5 door GTI CSG with DSG, ACC/DCC, 18" Detroits, Bi-Xenons, Dynaudio, R LED tails, Kenwood DDX9017DABS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It looks like #2 coil is fried and has kicked on a the CEL

VCDS shows it missing constantly at idle, although it appears to clear up with a little throttle. None the less I need to get at least that one replaced ASAP. Trying to source one locally at the moment, for reference:

NGK Spark Plug: SIZFR6B8EG
    NGK Ignition Coil: U5002

Bosche Ignition Coil: 0 986 221 023
    Bosch Spark Plug: 0 242 240 665

OEM Coil: 036 905 715 G
    OEM Spark Plug: 03C 905 601 B

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Did you try to swap the coils to see if the misfire follows?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Did you try to swap the coils to see if the misfire follows?
    That was the plan for this morning, swapping over the coil and replacing the spark plugs but it seems that you can't buy these plugs on a Sunday at the usual parts places. So I ended up swapping the plugs and coils between 2 and 3. I'm only about 75% sure I acutally swapped them over, but the problem remains on #2 so it looks like it's not the coil/plug

I've had the computer out logging the fault and it seems that it's only missing in idle. Giving it even a little throttle and the mis stops. That means that when driving around and it's also not there. It appears to run and drive smoothly only showing signs of miss at idle.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Another option...

Apparently these are Custom R8 coils in the 1.4 TSI sizing eliminating the need for a spacer. Not sure if the wiring is plug and play in the 1.4...

Volkswagen Scirocco Ignition R8 Coil Pack Spark Plug For 1.4 TSI, Car Accessories on Carousell
    Last edited by Mk R; 12-11-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Another option...

Apparently these are Custom R8 coils in the 1.4 TSI sizing eliminating the need for a spacer. Not sure if the wiring is plug and play in the 1.4...

Volkswagen Scirocco Ignition R8 Coil Pack Spark Plug For 1.4 TSI, Car Accessories on Carousell
    I like the idea of a drop in part over the adaptor, but if it's truly custom I'd want to understand what is required to replace it the day it fails. No good if you have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement vs pick one up at the local dealer (even if it's at a huge premium).

Do you know of anyone that has used these things or knows anything else about them?

So the site is like Gumtree so he won't/can't post them but as it turns out ill be in Singapore for work 4-8 June so I messaged him again to see if he'll have any in stock then. Might do a little experiment and swap out some stock Bosch plugs...

R8 coils use a different wiring configuration to the standard 1.4Tsi coils so you'd likely still have to change that even if the coil packs are modified to be shorter. It's actually really easy with a plug pin removal tool following this video. You just push the pins out of the plug and into a different pin hole.

I'm currently running a TMG adapter plate with R8 coils and NGK BKR7EIX plugs. The engine is definitely smoother than before (standard plugs gapped to ~7mm with an APR stage 2 tune). However I've got fuel consumption issues which may or may not be due to the coils/plugs, I've got an oil sensor issue too which might be the cause.

Personally I'd got the adapter route, it'd be much easier to replace a standard failed R8 coil pack than a modified one that's shorter. And factory 1.4Tsi coils wont work once you change the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by necrogt4 View Post
    Personally I'd got the adapter route, it'd be much easier to replace a standard failed R8 coil pack than a modified one that's shorter. And factory 1.4Tsi coils wont work once you change the wiring.
    Agreed, easy access to replacements would be the far better approach.

I just checked the TMG site again and it's €300 delivered to me which is a shade under AUD$500. It's definitely something that is firmly in back of mind, just not something I have the spare funds to do right now.

The guy in Singapore didn't end up getting back to me in the end. Given the marginal difference even the super high end Japanese coils have been shown to make I don't think i'd be willing to part with that sort of cash for high performance coils. Maybe if I decided to splash out on the TMG hybrid turbo i'd consider it but the TMG postage is also insanely expensive.

There's also someone on eBay selling "Benchmark" performance coils for the 1.4 twincharger pretty cheap. I'm guessing they're just regular coils with blue caps for that money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast