Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Phone' function on RNS510 is no longer working

Users Country Flag

'Phone' function on RNS510 is no longer working

Hi all,

I picked up my MY10 Mk6 Golf GTI a few days now, absolutely love it, but up until a couple of days ago, the 'Phone' function stopped working.

It's strange. The bluetooth seems to still pair just fine, but that's about it. I can't hear calls coming through the speakers whilst on a call, music streaming no longer works, nothing.

The other strange thing is, everytime I press the 'Phone' button on the head unit, all sound from the speakers mutes. A 'mute' icon appears on the head unit. For whatever reason, it's acting like a mute everything button. The phone menu itself no longer shows up.

Here is a video of what I mean:
    https://streamable.com/crllp

The other thing I noticed, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going crazy, is I was certain I had a a 'Phone' option in the 'Setup' menu. That seems to have completely vanished also.

What I've tried doing so far:

- Factory reset the head unit
    - Unpair and pair
    - Ensured 'Bluetooth music steaming' is turned on
    - Have removed the plug from the BT/amp module underneath the passenger seat

I'm seriously out of ideas and it's really annoying not being able to do simple things anymore like listen to my own music.

I haven't got in touch with my local WV dealership as I'm sure they'll charge an arm and a leg.

Any ideas? Would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
    Chris

Users Country Flag
    It sounds like a connection issue between the bluetooth unit and the headunit.
    You really need to get a scan done with VCDS, should give you a better understanding of the issue.
    Maybe the coding for bluetooth module has been removed from the canbus gateway installation list?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply! If I purchase myself a vcds cable, is it simple enough to do on your own? Are there any instructions online which you can point me to?

Or would it be simpler to take it to a mechanic or VW dealer to look into?

Cheers!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by chris90 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! If I purchase myself a vcds cable, is it simple enough to do on your own? Are there any instructions online which you can point me to?

Or would it be simpler to take it to a mechanic or VW dealer to look into?

Cheers!
    If you were buying vcds anyway then go for it.
    I wouldn't purchase just for this however.
    Find someone locally who has it and give them a 6pack

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Yes the only intent on buying one would be to fix this Phone issue. Guess I'll hunt someone who might have one and offer a slab instead

If it becomes too much of a hassle, would upgrading the firmware help at all? Problem is, I can't find the current firmware version, and I don't think I'm going to be able to without a VCDS :S

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by chris90 View Post
    Yes the only intent on buying one would be to fix this Phone issue. Guess I'll hunt someone who might have one and offer a slab instead

If it becomes too much of a hassle, would upgrading the firmware help at all? Problem is, I can't find the current firmware version, and I don't think I'm going to be able to without a VCDS :S
    Firmware comes up on the screen along with version number and maps version Hold setup button down a bit longer and a 3 option screen comes up.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Firmware comes up on the screen along with version number and maps version Hold setup button down a bit longer and a 3 option screen comes up.
    Thanks, I did try this, after reading other posts on how to obtain the firmware version, but mine doesn't seem to show it. I only get FM, AM and another option that begins with 'D'. Can't remember off the top of my head what it was called

Users Country Flag
    Ok hold down setup All the options come up keep holding it down and a 2nd screen should come up with AM FM and Version information press Version information.

Some units if you hold it down for about another 20 secs there is another menu

Mine is up todate and has firmware 5238 and map 7920 which is V8

Is it a big D on the top of your head LOL

Ok hold down setup All the options come up keep holding it down and a 2nd screen should come up with AM FM and Version information press Version information.

Some units if you hold it down for about another 20 secs there is another menu
    Mine doesn't seem to do that. I get the radio service menu, but after holding for another good minute, nothing changes. From looking online, I should get a test service menu, but doesn't seem to be the case and nothing in relation to version information.

Just FM, AM and DAB. So I'm hesitant to upgrade without knowing it's current version.

Is it a big D on the top of your head LOL
    You sound like my smartass misses

Users Country Flag

Well seems strange as MY MY11 Passat has a C model RNS510 in it and it has that menu. Is it original in the car Is possibly an A or B model but all are pretty much the same You could load 5238 and see what happens. Shouldnt hurt it but Kamold will confirm I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast