Thread: Oil light

Users Country Flag

Oil light

Hi everyone, my sister bought a Golf 118tsi, DSG, build 10/11 yeah i know, recently, it has 60k on the clock, in the 4,500ks she's had it, the oil light has come on twice, each time she has added 1lt. The other day i checked the oil level and it was to me about ~1/2lt over full. So it seems the low oil light is coming on ~1/2lt from full, is this a normal level to come on or can the low level be reset via the ECU. I know it's probably better to come on too early rather than late but, just wondering.
    Cheers
    05 A3 Sportback 2.0t, DSG Revo Stg1, K04, Revo Stage 3, S3 FMIC, Eurojet 3" D/P with Hiflo Cat, S3 Injectors, HPFP Upgrade, K&N CAI, Eibach Sports Springs.

Oil light

You’re lucky if it’s just a but of oil you have to put in.... a number of others have to add new pistons and rings as well as oil.

To answer your question though you should fill/check/fill if you’re not sure how much to add rather than just dumping in more oil.

I’m not sure how much oil the 1.4 takes but could also be that your sisters low oil light comes on sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 21-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    These are a bit of an oil burner.

They only hold just under 4L in the sump.

I'd recommend switching to a 502/505-spec 5W40 oil at the next service. It may not cure it completely, but it'll stay in the motor a bit longer.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    You’re lucky if it’s just a but of oil you have to put in.... a number of others have to add new pistons and rings as well as oil.

To answer your question though you should fill/check/fill if you’re not sure how much to add rather than just dumping in more oil.

Thanks for those words of wisdom, as i said, SHE has added the oil, if i had of been asked i would have added oil as needed. I now know about the infamous 118tsi problems. I was simply asking whether the oil light should come on so early.
    Cheers
    05 A3 Sportback 2.0t, DSG Revo Stg1, K04, Revo Stage 3, S3 FMIC, Eurojet 3" D/P with Hiflo Cat, S3 Injectors, HPFP Upgrade, K&N CAI, Eibach Sports Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    These are a bit of an oil burner.

They only hold just under 4L in the sump.

I'd recommend switching to a 502/505-spec 5W40 oil at the next service. It may not cure it completely, but it'll stay in the motor a bit longer.
    Thanks for that, it's going in tomorrow to the dealer (not VW) for a check, i'm going with her so will find out what oil they use.

Users Country Flag
    This engine takes 3.6 litres.

The oil light should only come on when the oil is practically off the dipstick - i.e. you check the oil and nothing is showing on the dipstick other than perhaps a dot right at the very end of it.

If its coming on when you still have oil showing in any of the hashed area of the dipstick - then the oil level sensor is faulty / gummed up.

As a note, oil level on VW cars should be checked from cold, on a reasonable level surface - or at least after the engine has been off for an hour of you want an accurate reading (10 minutes is not enough on this engine)

A cold or hot engine check of the dipstick on this engine can be the difference of being right at the top of the dipstick hashed area, or right at the bottom.
    Last edited by blower; 22-01-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Looks like the old low compression #1 cylinder problem. Replacing all pistons under used car warranty, so they must know about the problem to mention piston replacement without the engine apart. So, a couple of questions.
    1 Can anyone give me the new/good piston number. (Is genuine the only ones available?)
    2 What else to look for while apart.
    Cheers and thanks in advance

If VW is doing the repairs under warranty then you’ll get whatever the updated part is.

If you were paying for the repairs yourself at an independent you’d have a bit more choice.

If it’s a free engine I’d take it and not squabble over what valves are in it.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build