Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N205 valve replacement on Mk6 GTI 2.0TSI (EA888) engine

Users Country Flag

N205 valve replacement on Mk6 GTI 2.0TSI (EA888) engine

In my quest to find the source of my start-up rattle in our Mk6 GTI, I am just about to replace the camshaft adjustment magnet with the revised item, and following that, I will be looking to replace the N205 valve. Link to product: N205 valve for 2.0TSI engine

Several weeks ago I removed the camshaft adjuster magnet and flushed it out with degreaser & brake cleaner as the pin/piston was hard to move in and out. After cleaning, the pin/piston moved more freely. I noticed that when you shook the camshaft adjuster magnet that it make a metallic rattle similar to the sound the engine makes on cold starts. So I decided to order a new camshaft adjuster magnet (which will arrive this week) in case this was part of the issue. Link to product: Camshaft adjuster magnet for 2.0TSI engine

While the camshaft adjuster magnet was off, I could push the N205 valve in and out quite easily with my finger.

Now on the older FSI engines, the N205 valve appears to be more accessible and easier to change – but on the newer TSI engine, the N205 valve is screwed into the centre of the inlet camshaft (hidden underneath the camshaft adjuster magnet) and would appear to be more complicated to access/change.

Unfortunately I cannot find any information on the internet about faulty N205 valve on the newer TSI engines – so im flying blind.

Looking for advice from some of the VW tech’s on here as to the following:

1) Are any special tools needed to change the N205 on a 2.0TSI (EA888 ) engine? (Eg can a mechanically minded person change this part at home with basic tools or will I need to take it back to the dealership?)
    2) Would you think a faulty or blocked N205 valve could cause a rattle on cold/cool starts?
    3) Are there any tests to confirm whether my existing N205 valve is faulty? Will do a VCDS scan tonight to see if it shows anything.
    4) The rattle only occurs on either cold starts (eg after being parked overnight) or if the engine has been turned off for about an hour or more. If the engine is only turned off for 20 mins for example it will not rattle on start-up. The metallic rattle lasts for approx 1.0 -1.5 seconds
    5) What price (approx) would you expect this would cost if a dealer or independent mechanic is doing the work?

Some history on the car if that helps:
    - Purchased 2nd hand 12 months ago with 55,000km on it.
    - Full service history by VW dealer and only 1 owner since new. Car was built late 2009.
    - A startup rattle became apparent a few months after purchasing – and I made the assumption that it could be the timing chain tensioner. Had my local Audi dealership replace the timing chain tensioner, chain guides, cover plate and all bolts in Oct 2014. This cost me $950. The oil was also changed at this time as part of the work.
    - Rattle still evident after tensioner etc was replaced.
    - Took car back to dealer for check and was told noise was “normal”.
    - Car now has 67,000km on it and has had 2x oil changes in the last 12 months (Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w-30 and genuine oil filters).
    - Engine oil level is full as always as I check it several times every month.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but i've tried to put as much info as possible to assist with diagnosis. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 02-02-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    This should get you out of trouble:

SEAT Workshop Manuals > Leon Mk1 > Power unit > 4 cylinder Injected engine (engine 1.8 l and 2.0 l, timing chain) > Engine cylinder head, valve gear > Chain drive > Removing and fitting the distribution chain

Cliffnotes:

- Remove the magnet
    - Remove upper chain cover
    - Remove adjuster valve by undoing clockwise
    - You may need to counterhold the crankshaft (prevent rotation via breaker bar, 19mm socket)
    - You WILL need special VAG tool T10352, or T10352/1 depending on engine code.
    - Tighten new valve anti-clockwise to 35Nm

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If you punch 'T10352' into Ebay, there are listings for a tool that covers both variations of the valve, and to me, it's reasonably-priced.
    Last edited by Umai Naa!!; 02-02-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Can get away without counterholding the crank while you whack the ratchet to undo the valve. In saying that, have never witness a rattle caused by either of these valves.

Also just check if you need a revised connector for the cam adjuster as when we are supplied them by VW you need to change that over as well.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Can get away without counterholding the crank while you whack the ratchet to undo the valve. In saying that, have never witness a rattle caused by either of these valves.

Also just check if you need a revised connector for the cam adjuster as when we are supplied them by VW you need to change that over as well.
    Yes as the cam adjuster is now a superseeded plastic part.

There also was a recall of the bearing saddle re. oil strainer issues on the saddle itself, if left too long looses oil pressure and scores the camshaft which always resulted in a new cylinder head. Did not cause any rattle though I believe...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

Yes the new cam adjuster magnet is a plastic part, and ive ordered a new connector for it as well as id read it was different.

@Snail Style - you say that you dont know of the N205 causing a rattle in your experience? The rattle i have definitely sounds like its coming from the top of the engine somewhere....so if not the cam adjuster magnet or the N205 do you have any suggestions on what it could be. Its driving me mad and id really like to fix it. My local VW dealer isnt interested and said "its normal" and so did my local Audi dealer - so im on my own.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Do you have an audio file??

The items you are replacing are known to leak but not cause rattles. Especially on start up.

If you are certain it's from the top of the engine are you sure it's the timing cover area?? Are you hearing the fuel pressure and oil pressure build up??

The high pressure fuel systems in these cars do 'rattle' when low on pressure and is the rattle only on cold start or at any time?

Hard to really say what could be causing a rattle from the top end, as I haven't really had many rattles on the MK6 GTI from the engine. As piper said the fuel system does get noisy when low on pressure, however you would be noticing more issues if there was a problem there.

Both that valve and solenoid are very simple in design, the valve directs oil pressure and the solenoid controls that. It would be a good idea to replace the solenoid as if you have the metal one, they have been superseded. The valve I would just pull out and give a good clean up.

The bearing saddle would be worth replacing as the loss of that one-way valve could potentially starve somewhere of oil pressure(possibly the n205 valve) and cause a rattle.

Those kind of things are near impossible to diagnose via the internet unless they are a common issue. Best thing to do would be hook up a chassis ear to the car and try to pin point the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    If you punch 'T10352' into Ebay, there are listings for a tool that covers both variations of the valve, and to me, it's reasonably-priced.
    Umai Naa!!- i think i would like to remove the N205 valve and inspect/clean it. Is this the tool you are referring too? If so, then i wonder if my Schwaben brake calliper reset kit might work as it has about 6 different sized bases? If not, then at least the correct tool isn't too expensive: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181432020859

I replaced the camshaft adjuster magnet the other day with the updated plastic version + new plug but it hasn't made any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by piper26 View Post
    Do you have an audio file??

The items you are replacing are known to leak but not cause rattles. Especially on start up.

If you are certain it's from the top of the engine are you sure it's the timing cover area?? Are you hearing the fuel pressure and oil pressure build up??

The high pressure fuel systems in these cars do 'rattle' when low on pressure and is the rattle only on cold start or at any time?
    I can get an audio file with my phone if you think it will be of any help. I have also wondered if the noise might be either the HPFP or another part of the fuel delivery system.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Doubt the brake tool will work. The holes on te valve are off centre to the bolt/ valve. Also the holes are easily rounded out so be careful regardless.

Audio files definitely can help

N205 valve replacement on Mk6 GTI 2.0TSI (EA888) engine

Here are 2 short videos of my car during a cold startup:

The first video was taken about 4-5months ago, prior to having the chain tensioner replaced.

VW Golf Mk6 GTI (2.0 TSI) engine timing chain tensioner rattle - YouTube

The second video was taken a few weeks ago - surprisingly the rattle wasn't as noticeable/last as long as usual during this video.

Mk6 GTI startup engine rattle (not chain tensioner) - YouTube
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 27-02-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast