Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 Wheel / Rim / Tyre Thread

Users Country Flag

Golf R Mk6 Wheel/Tyre advice

Okay, so I have a mk6 R that was factory delivered with 18 inch wheels. Can I just swap them over for 19insh mk6 R Talladegas? Is the steering lock different on cars delivered with 18's vs 19's meaning if I put 19's on I'll rub at full lock?

My other option is a set of 18 x 8 with 48 offset fitted with 235/40/R18. Using the online calculators this combo isn't much wider than stock 18's but the diameter is slightly bigger, but still not as much as 19's with 235/35/R19.

Car has stock suspension i.e.. not lowered at all.

thanks in advance...

Pre sure they are the same

Anyone with pics of tdi/tsi with gti rims ?

As per title mark 6 tsi/tdi with mark 5/6 detroit 17inch rims.

Hi guys. I have the standard 17in rims on my GTI: looking for tyre options/suggestions for 225/45.

Currently running Dunlop Sport Maxx and Dunlop Direzza. Looking for a tyre that doesn’t drum as much (it’s a daily driver) but has a bit of grip too.

I have heard that moving up to 18in (225/40) brings better options but I’ll throw it open to the brains trust.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Hi guys. I have the standard 17in rims on my GTI: looking for tyre options/suggestions for 225/45.

Currently running Dunlop Sport Maxx and Dunlop Direzza. Looking for a tyre that doesn’t drum as much (it’s a daily driver) but has a bit of grip too.

I have heard that moving up to 18in (225/40) brings better options but I’ll throw it open to the brains trust.
    Having run 16", 17" & 18" on my car, I prefer 17".

My pick would be either Michelin PS3 (around $130 in Sydney) or PS4 ($160). Go up a size to 235/45r17; you'll get slightly more rim protection, the guards will fill out a bit more and the speedo will be more accurate.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks @brad.

Did you find the Michelin’s gave less noise? I’m guessing it was a bit more comfortable too with the taller tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Thanks @brad.

Did you find the Michelin’s gave less noise? I’m guessing it was a bit more comfortable too with the taller tyre.
    I don't know how much noise the Sport Maxx and Direzza make, so can't make a comparison.

I'm a Michelin fan, so if buying new they would be my preference.

Noise can be reduced / controlled slightly by cross-rotating the tyres every 10,000km.

Yes, the slightly taller sidewall will give a bit more bump absorption but slightly less response if you are chasing absolute maximum handling.

Recommend you also run around 36-40 psi all round.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    My wife has just had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 fitted in 235/45r17 replacing Pirelli P Zero in 225/45r17. Initial feedback is that the larger size rides a little softer, and indeed fills out the guards a little more and offer more rim protection. Early days as far as testing grip levels but they seem to offer equal grip to the Pirelli's at the same stage, however I think that the Goodyear's offer a better ride. $220 each fitted is pretty good value for a performance tyre. Made in Europe too.
    VW number 8 = 2020 Golf Alltrack Premium/Indium Grey Metallic/Leather seats with extra fruit. (Gone)
    VW number 9 = 2023 Tiguan Elegance 162 TSI White with Sound and Vision package

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys, new here,

Anyone did a change from the stock 2010 118TSI Golf rims to 19's without modifications and just straight swap? What would be your recommendations? I'm just after a nice look, and I dont want to do any modfications, lowering, etc.. Would it work?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingGTI View Post
    Hi guys, new here,

Anyone did a change from the stock 2010 118TSI Golf rims to 19's without modifications and just straight swap? What would be your recommendations? I'm just after a nice look, and I dont want to do any modfications, lowering, etc.. Would it work?
    Can be done without modification - just depends if you'll be happy with the look without lowering. It will look quite "stilted" or "4wdish".

You may want to consider the 18s route instead, with the added bonus of cheaper wheels, tyres and more ride comfort.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast