Support VWWC

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 Replacement Brake Pad Thread

MK6 Replacement Brake Pad Thread

Hi guys, the recent service for my GTI has got me thinking. The standard brakes on the GTI (and R for that matter) are not exactly outstanding from the numerous reviews that I've read. So without wanting to change the actual discs and rotors, will aftermarket brake pads noticibly improve the braking performance? Any thoughts and recommendations?
    Last edited by MkVIGTI; 13-02-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    MkVI Golf GTI | Candy White | DSG | Leather | Bi-xenon | Sunroof | Dynaudio | Park Assist | MDI | Tint | FINALLY RECEIVED!!

Remsa, which are rated at 650 degrees (or 100 degrees better than say something like a Bendix Ultimate), what we supply for vehicles like Porsche, Lambo etc, and are phenomenally good pad for the money with low dust and rotor wear. To suit Mk6 GTi, $115 for the front, and $89 for the rear. That price also includes the electronic wear sensors as standrd.
    GSL RallySport 1300 884 836
    Sick of paying too much for performance brake pads? Want high performance with low rotor wear?
    QFM Performance Pads

Quote Originally Posted by gslrallysport View Post
    Remsa, which are rated at 650 degrees (or 100 degrees better than say something like a Bendix Ultimate), what we supply for vehicles like Porsche, Lambo etc, and are phenomenally good pad for the money with low dust and rotor wear. To suit Mk6 GTi, $115 for the front, and $89 for the rear. That price also includes the electronic wear sensors as standrd.
    Are these less grabby than stock pads?
    GTI & Tiguan use the same pad? Can anyone verify? Is there a Tiguan fitment too?

Users Country Flag

Golf R brake pad upgrade (applies to GTI's and other VW's as well)

I have a few things that i would like to do to/change on my Golf R when it arrives.

One thing is the changing the brake pads. Not necessarily for better performance, but for reduced brake dust and rotor wear as standard European pads are dreadful for this.

I have had a bit of a look at EBC Redstuff / HAWK etc. Has anyone else changed their brake pads at this point in time? If so:

1) What brand of pads did you use
    2) Where did you source them from and price
    3) Part numbers (if you have them)
    4) Feedback / results? Have they cured the brake dust issue and how do the pads perform.

Thanks,
    Lucas

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate, I merged your thread with this one that was also on the MK6 forum front page. I don't believe we need individual threads for each MK6 model on this topic. Your first point might be to look at gslrallysport's post and contact him to see if they have suitable pads for the R. I'll also look through the rest of the thread listings to see if there are older threads on the topic...

Users Country Flag
    Call me crazy.. but if its anything like the other threads.. 200+ pages long of just "Golf R observations" or "Golf R questions".. Wouldnt it be easier to let model specific threads be available as far as VWWATERCOOLED being an info source goes to other owners..

I have sometimes you'll get new owners, asking an old question to which we say "hey why didnt you check out page 134?".

I dont know might be an idea to allow for some more threads cause it feels like all I ever write in is in Golf R observations.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag
    You're crazy!

There have been two threads created on this topic in the entire history of the MK6... both in the last week. So there is no need for a thread on the same topic for each of the individual models...

Users Country Flag
    I knew I left that open soon as I hit enter.. lol.

But seriously you should consider a bit of freedom in the opening of threads dept. Maybe not this topic if you like.. but like I said the Golf R Observations topics etc are getting a bit crowded and it feels like that is all I can ever contribute to.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

I have an Audi TT Mk2 to which I recently fitted Hawk HPS to, The hawk gives the brakes a better and more reassuring bite at the loss of some initial brake feel until a little warmth gets to the brakes. The plus side is no more squeal and lost less brake dust.

The TT brakes are the same as that on the Golf GTI and I think the 118 TSI

Quote Originally Posted by ethosguy View Post
    Are these less grabby than stock pads?
    What do you mean by grabby, ie. what is the problem you're trying to solve? There's alot of reason why a brake setup can be 'grabby' without it directly relating to the pads.

GTI & Tiguan use the same pad? Can anyone verify? Is there a Tiguan fitment too?
    Nup, definitely not the same as GTi. Remsa to suit Tiguan are $145 for the front, and $135 for the rear.

Regards,
    Greg
    GSL RallySport 1300 884 836
    Sick of paying too much for performance brake pads? Want high performance with low rotor wear?
    QFM Performance Pads

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast