Support VWWC

Thread: Mk6 R pinging

Mk6 R pinging

Hey everyone.*

I seem to have a pinging sound coming from my engine while driving. Worse when it's under load up a hill. Seems to go away while boosting but unsure if that's true as the car is alot louder so could be drowning out the sound. I'm almost certain it's been there since I bought the car (second hand with tune, intake and exhaust already done) but lately it seems to have worsened, could also be me or this cold weather.*

Have tried - different petrol station, fuel additive, spark plugs, coil packs and asked about the tune (they said couldn't be as it's a flash tune)*

Sounds worse than thishttps://youtu.be/JA0cH_vRABg

The car is a 2011 MY12 Golf R DSG with stage 2+ APR tune, Apr hpfp, milltek tbe, vwr intake, custom code dsg stage 2 tune and red coil packs(recently fitted to see if it's the issue) also fitted new spark plugs not long ago(zero difference).*

Has anyone experienced this? Either on a 2.0T FSI or similar.*

Cheers

If it's actually pinging (other things can sound like it, though they don't usually get louder under load) it could be hard carbon buildup that mere fuel additive doesn't remove.

You don't quote the car's mileage or oil consumption, so it's no more than a guess, but I'd be looking further into it — such noises can presage disaster.

Users Country Flag
    Why would a flash tune preclude any pinging?

At this point wouldn't you take logs to see how much timing is being pulled?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

What about the fuel pump cam follower? I'm told these wear out and present some noise?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Check your N80 valve. Its on the front of the inlet manifold and towards the passenger side. When these valves fail they tick quite loudly and sound a bit like its pinging.

I just replaced the one on my Mk6 GTI as it was making a loud ticking noise while driving (you can hear it while idling and also under light/medium load).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Would expect more under boost, and would expect worse with hot weather
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Would expect more under boost, and would expect worse with hot weather
    +1 however the ECU should start to pull timing etc when pinging is detected so I'd suggest it is something else
    MY18 Golf 7.5R - Ecotune Stage 1
    Mazda RX2 - 13B Bridgeport GTX4202R

Sorry for the late reply guys. I haven't been receiving emails and I forgot my password.

Still yet to find the issue. It is not there when the car is on cold start.

I've had the car logged and it's pinging before boost and then it goes away before mid to full boost hits.

A couple of people that understand the logs had a look and say it has a ping but seems ok. Doesn't seem to be bad. But u still need this fixed. I've looked underneath for vibrating bits and could find much.

Cheers guys.