Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 GTI - Rattle upon acceleration - Resolved via TPI: 2021062/7

I took it into VW and they advise they advised me it was something to do with the exhaust bending when the throttle is opened and that's making that rattle....
    They said because these are new and a little different to the MK5, they couldn't fix it considering it was hurting the car...
    They said it's under warranty if it breaks.....I told him thats the last thing I want back and fourth..fixing issues...
    Will wait and see if anyone else has the issue....or can provide a fix...
    It seems to sound lower and lower after a good beating....maybe heat related
    Anyway it's still a joy to drive..and gets better everyday

6000kms on, and I still have the same rattle. I've not been overly concerned. I figured it was a minor exhaust or cat rattle. Figured it would bed down as it got a few kms on it - but, alas...

My main worry was sounding like I drove a tin can instead of a tight euro hatch, but it's much more audible driving the car than listening to somebody else take off in it. It's most noticeable when giving the car a little bit of right foot from 1st/2nd gear when it's cold. As the car warms up over the course of a drive, I don't seem to notice it much.

I'll get it checked out soon myself when I have some time. And yes, it's done it from day 1.
    GTI MKVI Candy White | 5 door | DSG | ACC | 18" Detroits | Leather | Electric Seat | Sunroof | RNS510 | Dynaudio | Park Assist | RVC | MDI

Finally someone with the same problem....
    Have you taken to VW dealer.....what did they say?
    I bumped into another GTI owner and they haven't got the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by FredGTI View Post
    Finally someone with the same problem....
    Have you taken to VW dealer.....what did they say?
    I haven't approached them yet. I've been meaning to, but haven't got around to it.
    GTI MKVI Candy White | 5 door | DSG | ACC | 18" Detroits | Leather | Electric Seat | Sunroof | RNS510 | Dynaudio | Park Assist | RVC | MDI

I've had my GTI VI for about one and a half weeks and it has had the rattle since day one. I thought it may just be that the car was new and components were still bedding in, but the rattle persists. The performance of the car is unaffected, but the sound is damn annoying. It only occurs when I am accelerating up through the gears, within certain rev ranges, most notably through 1st, 2nd and 3rd (I have the DSG model).

So, I have booked the car in with the dealer for them to take a 'test drive' with me to listen to the rattle. They said that the service department is currently booked out until the end of March, so if the car is "safe to drive" (which it is) then they will assess via the test drive and then book it in for any work to be performed when a slot becomes available.

I am loving the car, but the rattle is detracting from what would otherwise be a perfect driving experience.
    In the garage: Candy White 5Dr GTI VI, DSG, leather, ACC, 18" Detroits, MDI, Bluetooth

Another MKV GTI I spent some time in had a rattle at a certain rev range coming from the engine bay. The rattle was caused by a loose heat shield. An easy fix. Otherwise, sometime the fuel line unclippes itself & bangs against the firewall, creating an intermittent rattle. Another easy fix.

Cheers.
    WJ

So Im guessing i should be expecting to have a rattle when i get mine.. Thank you VW! lol
    2010 5 DR MK6 GTI|DSG|CARBON STEEL|18" DETROIT|ACC|BI-XENON|LEATHER|SUNROOF|DYNAUDIO|SATNAV|MDI|PREMIUM BT|TINTS|EXTENDED WARRANTY| In garage

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
    Another MKV GTI I spent some time in had a rattle at a certain rev range coming from the engine bay. The rattle was caused by a loose heat shield. An easy fix. Otherwise, sometime the fuel line unclippes itself & bangs against the firewall, creating an intermittent rattle. Another easy fix.

Cheers.
    WJ
    WhiteJames, how was this discovered? Was it something you found or was a visit to the VW Service Department required?
    In the garage: Candy White 5Dr GTI VI, DSG, leather, ACC, 18" Detroits, MDI, Bluetooth

Users Country Flag
    Mine has a rattle between 2500 - 3000rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, not always, more noticeable in slow traffic (engine under load) , and sometimes not at all.

Is that the rattle we mean ?

If I take to the dealer, they wont be able to recreate it, like the rattles in both front doors.
    mk VI GTI, manual, reflex silver, basic

Quote Originally Posted by mfl View Post
    Mine has a rattle between 2500 - 3000rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, not always, more noticeable in slow traffic (engine under load) , and sometimes not at all.

Is that the rattle we mean ?

If I take to the dealer, they wont be able to recreate it, like the rattles in both front doors.
    The rattle I have is exactly the same. I've got a 'test drive' with a Service Rep this Wednesday so that they can listen to the rattle. They haven't specified if they or I will be the driver, but I will definitely be in the car when it's driven either way, and I have no doubt that the rattle will be audible to both parties.

There seems to be a lot of threads on this issue when I Google and they all seem to point towards a loose heat shield. We shall see I suppose.

Interesting that you have the same issue but with a manual transmission.

Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast