Support VWWC

Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 GTI - Rattle upon acceleration - Resolved via TPI: 2021062/7

[QUOTE=schoona;437061]205/50 geezus!

Hahaha, is that good or bad geezus? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tyres.
    "I just want to make it that little bit better, and little bit more unique."

Your wheel is 7.5" wide with a tyre tread pattern 8" wide. Then you have 50% of that in your sidewall.

205mm (width of tyre), 50 = 50 percent of width for your sidewall height.
    That is a lot of tyre.

Im not sure how "stiff" potenzas are, I haven't driven on them, but oyu shouldn't be getting to many problem with power down because the contact patch will "bulge" onto the road and aid traction.

Your ride shjould also be very very bearable with those tyres.

Ah ok then...i'll try to learn what all that means....
    It's usually very good with traction but when i really plant it from a stand still it seems to always lose whatever traction it has...or in the least chirp quite a lot.
    I think the problem is my foot. ahha i'm sure i'll learn to take off a bit more controlled in good time. I'm going to put some 18" rims on it soonish, what tyres would you recomend to put on them?
    something not too too expensive.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTI2708 View Post
    Ah ok then...i'll try to learn what all that means....
    It's usually very good with traction but when i really plant it from a stand still it seems to always lose whatever traction it has...or in the least chirp quite a lot.
    I think the problem is my foot. ahha i'm sure i'll learn to take off a bit more controlled in good time. I'm going to put some 18" rims on it soonish, what tyres would you recomend to put on them?
    something not too too expensive.
    Thanks
    It's a dreaded word up here "Tempe", but I have a mate with a mkv, got 19" RS4 reps with Kumho KU31's for 2k all up.
    Sure you can smoke them, but with a bit of moderaion get pretty good traction. His car rides/looks/feels better on the 19s for sure.

I have Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001s on my VR6. Only time they have spun is having the engine loaded around a left hand turn and punching it in first. 200 a pop for 15s But they are awesome so...

Id have a look at Continental, good rubber, Pirelli (though I seem to recall wear rates not being so crash hot), Michelin Pilot Sports, even Federals/Falken could be a goer.

Falken 452's

I've got the standard Potenza's on it.
    It's like a rattle from under the car when I accelerate hard and then back off...around 1800 - 2300rpm.....

My mate thinks his MK5 is the same under hard acceleration he thinks its because it has too change gears and drop from 5th...but i'm talking about taking off in 1st.....

I think i should call the VW dealer nad have them check it out....

apart from that...all smiles from me

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI2708 View Post
    I have the stock Potenzas that come with the GTI Mk6.
    They're 225/45 R17's.
    If you change to 18" wheels, then you'd probably look at either a 225/40 R18 or 235/40 R18, depending on the manufacturer of the tyre.

It seems the best tyre in all the 'official' comparisons I've seen from magazines etc in the past few years have put the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric as the best tyre. They're not cheap, but then neither are the good Continentals or Michelin's etc.

If you are scared off by the price of good quality 18 or 19" tyres in Australia, then remember that you can import them at as low as half the price (even after shipping costs are factored in) from places like tirerack.com from the USA etc. You can get away with cheap wheels from places like Tempe tyres etc, but you should never skimp on the tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGTI View Post
    I've got the standard Potenza's on it.
    It's like a rattle from under the car when I accelerate hard and then back off...around 1800 - 2300rpm.....

I think i should call the VW dealer nad have them check it out....
    Yeah - I think getting the service dept at your dealer to have a listen as you drive the car is probably the best way if you're concerned. It could be anything, even a lose number plate! I'm sure people could give you a heap of things it could be, but we'd all just be guessing without taking a ride in the car to hear it first hand (and even then most would be guessing! hehe)
    Last edited by Corey_R; 29-12-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    They're 225/45 R17's.
    If you change to 18" wheels, then you'd probably look at either a 225/40 R18 or 235/40 R18, depending on the manufacturer of the tyre.

It seems the best tyre in all the 'official' comparisons I've seen from magazines etc in the past few years have put the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric as the best tyre. They're not cheap, but then neither are the good Continentals or Michelin's etc.

If you are scared off by the price of good quality 18 or 19" tyres in Australia, then remember that you can import them at as low as half the price (even after shipping costs are factored in) from places like tirerack.com from the USA etc. You can get away with cheap wheels from places like Tempe tyres etc, but you should never skimp on the tyres.

Yeah - I think getting the service dept at your dealer to have a listen as you drive the car is probably the best way if you're concerned. It could be anything, even a lose number plate! I'm sure people could give you a heap of things it could be, but we'd all just be guessing without taking a ride in the car to hear it first hand (and even then most would be guessing! hehe)

Yeah thanks mate...those sites will help...i definatley dont want to skimp on tires...they make a real difference and i reckon going cheap ones will end up wearig quicker and i'll end up getting new ones costing me more. Thannks again for the tips.

I have the same rattle, and it seems to be as you said from the exhaust system similar to the E46 m3 sound..

I'll be taking my car past the service centre in the new year to check it out. Although as I've been running the car in the sound has been getting better and better.

Hi There Folks

I had a loud rattle on acceleration too. Found out it was a problem with the exhaust. There's a bracket that attaches it to the engine manifold that came loose. Once it was tightened the rattle disappeared for a short time. The bracket would keep working itself loose after a few days.

I also had a very loud rattle from the heat flashing which had dropped down. VW said that this was a normal part of the design and wouldn't fix it.

Hope this helps.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I had a loud rattle on acceleration too. Found out it was a problem with the exhaust. There's a bracket that attaches it to the engine manifold that came loose. Once it was tightened the rattle disappeared for a short time. The bracket would keep working itself loose after a few days.
    Could you put some 'plumbers tape' or thread lock on it to stop this from happening ?

Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast