Support VWWC

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 Golf Towing / Tow Bar thread

MK6 Golf Towing / Tow Bar thread

Has anyone seen what the towbar looks like on the new Mk6 Golf? I have seen pics in the brochure but it doesn't really show how it looks on the car.
    VW Golf 118TSI DSG - Sports Pack - Reflex Silver

As its a mkV under the skin it would probably be the same or similar?
    Red 99 Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport, coilovers, K&N (Gone but not forgotten)
    Blue 05 Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Comfortline, leather, sunroof.
    2012 BMW X3 MSport 2.0D

Users Country Flag

Towing

Just curious if many member on here with a 118tsi DSG have towed anything with their car, specifically if anyone has towed a fair weight with them....

Curious for a couple of reasons:-

1. How the DSG went with towing, knowing its a very intuitive box, but how well it held onto gear ratio's and not let the car labour, yet not over rev the engine either.

2. How well the twin charge engine performed whilst towing, with 240nm of torque its not about to tow a horse float, but its also adequate still. Just curious of how well it handled it and how much fuel consumption climbed, knowing they love a drink when worked hard. (well mine does :S lol)

3. Still related to the engine, this time the slight pause of power you sometimes get off the mark and how that affected towing abilities and comfort for the driver.

Anyone reading with a DSG MK V GT sport may also help me out.

Thanks guys,

Stoney!
    6 Sp Manual 118 TSi
    Colour: United Grey
    Build Date: August 09 Delivery Date: 16th Oct 09
    ODO at last fill: 2555km
    Avg Fuel Cons at last fill: 8.6

Two things to watch out for (do your research carefully) :

Cost of towbars - some places charge 2 arms and 2 legs for tow bars and associated electrics for VWs !

Ball weight - most VAG cars have quite low maximum ball weights, which can restrict what you can legally tow.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

The only thing I don't like about the towbar fitted to my 118TSi is the cost of the electrics. All up, it is an $1800 option ($1200 for the electrics).

Our Golf is a second car... a daily driver and work horse (affectionately referred to as the "farm truck"). I was a little concerned about the DSG and its ability to sustain the load of carting a trailer load of garden waste to the dump every couple of months.

But, so far, so good. I have not had the trailer loaded to the max with anything very heavy (like dirt, sand etc) yet but it seems to handle things quite well so far. When towing a trailer under load you do get to appreciate the flexibilty that a 7 speed DSG box offers and I have to admit I use the sport mode and manual modes more when towing so as to keep it from labouring.

Other than the slightest rattle from the pinned towbar assembly, you would hardly know that you are towing anything (torque is ample).

Can't really comment on fuel economy (haven't taken any notice).
    2009 Golf MkVI 118 TSI
    United Grey - 7sp DSG, Sports Pack, Sat Nav, Blutooth, Towbar, Park Assist
    2005 350Z Track Coupe
    Ultra Yellow - Lots of mods

Towbar fitted to MK6 Golf

HI
    Does anyone have any pictures of the toebar fitted to a mk6 GTI ,I'm curious to see how they fit and look .
    I've tried to do a google search but nothing .

Cheers
    Last edited by gtimal; 12-01-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Given that a toebar is variously: a martial arts technique; part of a shoe; part of a car's suspension; it may be worth clarifying exactly what you mean...

If you mean a toWbar as opposed to a toEbar, then I think you will find that the kit is the same as on any other recent Golf / Jetta / Passat / Eos etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Given that a toebar is variously: a martial arts technique; part of a shoe; part of a car's suspension; it may be worth clarifying exactly what you mean...

If you mean a toWbar as opposed to a toEbar, then I think you will find that the kit is the same as on any other recent Golf / Jetta / Passat / Eos etc...
    I mean TOWBAR .I was wonderiing how it looked with the GTI's rear bumper .

Cheers

Mal

Let you know when mine arrives. I do not have a choice, must have a towbar. Did not have one with my Mark5 GTi and caused me heaps of inconvenience. That is if you can wait until April or thereabouts.
    Mark 7.5 2018 White Golf R with Driver Assist & Dynaudio packages.
    Polo 77TSI White Comfortline DSG - partner drives
    We are a VW family

I didn't know you could fit a towbar on the Mark 6 GTI
    Golf GTI Mark 6
    DSG 5DR
    Tornado Red
    Sat Nav

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast