Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 Golf Towing / Tow Bar thread

Users Country Flag

You can get the towbar kit for the GTI, although it's probably not recommended if you're upgrading the 18" wheels etc.

If you're getting the genuine VW towbar kit, then when the actual towarm is not installed, I don't believe that you can see that you have a towbar kit installed at all. Please verify this with your dealer, but the entire towbar amount actually goes up inside of the rear bumper so that it is not seen from behind the car. The towarm then pushes up into that and you clip it in to secure it for when you need it.

It's a GTI, so it'll look ugly whilst you have the towarm in

Users Country Flag
    a mate a work has the same set up but on his Passat... He does say it is an absoluate pain when it comes to attaching the trailor because it is hidden underneath..
    Golf Mk6 GTI | Deep Black Pearl | 6MT | 5dr | 18" Detroits |

Mods Ordered: RTR ECU Remap | 3" Milltek TBE | VW Racing Intake | Revo Intake Pipe |
    Accessories: Gloss Black rear VW badge | OSIR Foot Rest | P3 Gauge | GTI Scuff Plates | Yellow LAMIN-X fog light tint | PIAA Yellow Fog Light Globes |

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    You can get the towbar kit for the GTI, although it's probably not recommended if you're upgrading the 18" wheels etc.
    Hi C
    Why would that be ,load rating on tyres or some other reason .

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    a mate a work has the same set up but on his Passat... He does say it is an absoluate pain when it comes to attaching the trailor because it is hidden underneath..
    Once you get the hang of it it's fine. I can do mine easily now. Was harder when it was new - there is high density foam padding around the towbar, and when it was new it was haarder to get the bar in far enough to compress the foam enough for the locking bar to go in easily. Goes in fine now though...

No reason you can't have it with 18s either.

Yeah, I think I have a pic somewhere from the Eastern Creek Driving Academy ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

MY10 S3 3dr

Users Country Flag
    VW doesn't specifically say that you can't have 18" wheels and a towbar on the GTI.
    However, other companies, like BMW, won't fit towbars to cars with their 'M Sport Suspension' (ie. lowered like in the GTI) and with the lowest profile tyres.

The profile of your tyres is part of your 'suspension' system. If you have lowered suspension and low profile tyres, it just makes then less comfortable to tow etc. But there is no rule or law to say that you can't.

Note the price at the bottom of the left hand column on the 3rd image...

And, FWIW, the car had 18s as well...

Last edited by Lima; 13-01-2010 at 06:00 PM.

MY10 S3 3dr

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the pictures. So the towbar does change the appearence of the GTI... there is a cutout in the valance.

As for the car having 18" wheels, it has every single dealer accessory, which is the point of the car.

Again, I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar, because clearly you could put 20" wheels on there and have a towbar, what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though. A bike carrier, fine. A 1300kg trailer... you may want to think again

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. So the towbar does change the appearence of the GTI... there is a cutout in the valance.

As for the car having 18" wheels, it has every single dealer accessory, which is the point of the car.

Again, I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar, because clearly you could put 20" wheels on there and have a towbar, what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though. A bike carrier, fine. A 1300kg trailer... you may want to think again
    I don't think it's "not recommended" by VW at all.... The Golf GTI is rated for 640kg unbraked trailer and 1300 braked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    Note the price at the bottom of the left hand column on the 3rd image...

And, FWIW, the car had 18s as well...

Thanks lima for the pic's ,I have ordered the car with a towbar and the comfort setting on the ACC might come in handy..Doesn't look to bad from a distance I can live with it .

Cheers
    Last edited by gtimal; 13-01-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast