Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mk6 Golf Battery Thread

Users Country Flag

The Mk6 Golf Battery Thread

guys next year be 3 year mark with my mk6 GTI just wondering what experience has been with golf gti batteries. reason I ask like clock work last couple of cars have owned bang on the 3 year mark almost their batteries have died. wondering if should factor in a battery change this time next year. and if do any ideas what cost for that exercise might be ? and whether worth doing anyhow whether failed or not at 3 year point ?
    Once had a Red mk6 GTI + DSG + leather + sunroof + mdi + towbar

now have a gorgeous Red Merc A250 AMG Sport

I might be able to answer this question in November / December this year, as my GTI turns 3 at the end of November!
    2006 - 2009 = MY02 VW Golf IV GL - Reflex Silver
    2009 - 2015 = MY10 VW Golf VI GTI - Candy White
    2015 - 2018 = MY13 VW Tiguan 103TDI - Night Blue
    2018 - current = MY18 VW Tiguan Adventure 110TDI - Atlantic Blue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks kjh, yeah keen to know if something aflicting the golfs as well. or just been my bad luck with previous cars. thing to note as well. with previous cars because of electronics in cars these days. the dead battery also meant the computer had to be reset. which is both cases meant a tow back to the dealer.

and hence reason why I ask. as would prefer to avoid all that hassle if it is indeed the same case with golfs

Users Country Flag
    A few months ago I replaced the battery in my mates 2007 GTI. It was the original battery and the car had done around 74,000km. The battery wasn't completely dead yet, but it was on its way out (starter motor took longer to start the engine etc).

So 5 years give or take a few months. The Varta batteries they come with are a good quality (expensive) unit.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I see many Varta batteries lasting more than 4 years. I replaced the battery in 05MK5 Golf this year it was 7 year old and still starting but it had much reduced capacity. Get the battery tested and make decision then.

Had Dean @ VP download my DSG software for modification (to be reloaded when I get a chance to return) and he mentioned my battery levels are low. Any recommended places to get a good deal on a genuine (or comparable compatible) battery?

Supposedly my battery currently isn't genuine since the plastic cover doesn't fit on properly, don't know when that would've happened since I'm unaware of any changes to it. I've only had a flat battery once when I was retrofitting the bluetooth and didn't realise the automatic headlights were on

Users Country Flag
    Consider also Bosch S5 battery for your Golf, they're long life batteries too.

Users Country Flag
    The battery on my '09 GTI had a dead cell and was replaced under warranty about a month ago - failed to start after I gave the car a wash (the running lights were on for 20 mins max) RACQ got it going and I took it to the dealer who couldn't fault it, battery test came back fine.

Few weeks later took it back again and lo-and-behold dead cell, new battery. It was a Varta battery as is the new one.
    2010 MKVI GTI DSG - Pearl Black - MDI - Satnav

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    guys just wondering how people are going wiht their batteries ? all still good ? or anyone find have to replace the battery so far ? starting the car last couple of days it hesitated a bit. took for a good drive. as mainly doing short trips these days

Quote Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
    guys just wondering how people are going wiht their batteries ? all still good ?
    I'm on my original battery (GTI built week 10 2010, delivered June 2010), and it seems as strong as when the car was new. I don't do long trips very often, but always make sure my car is up to temp on every drive, so I rarely run it for less than 20-30 mins at a time.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast