Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK6 90TSI weird ticking sound at idle

Users Country Flag

MK6 90TSI weird ticking sound at idle

Hi guys,

This started a couple of days ago. Did some research and i've found that it may be related to the timing chain tensioner, but not really sure. here's a video of the weird sound:

Its pretty loud in the cabin, only present at idle. Above ~950rpm the sound completely goes away.

Is this cause for concern? Has anyone come across this before, and should I stop driving it and take it down to the dealer?

It's a 2011 90TSI DSG.

Thanks for any insight

Users Country Flag
    Hi,

My car has recently started this problem too - 2011 90TSI with DSG, 85000km.

I think it may be the timing chain/tensioner also. Has anyone else had this happen to their 1.4s? Apparently timing chain tensioners are relatively common for the 2.0 GTI engines.

Get someone to grab the fuel lines in the engine bay and move them around, if the noise goes then that is your problem. If that isn't it, then don't drive the car and get it to a mechanic.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Get someone to grab the fuel lines in the engine bay and move them around, if the noise goes then that is your problem. If that isn't it, then don't drive the car and get it to a mechanic.
    It's the timing chain if it's not the fuel lines, right? As my car is out of warranty, do you know approximately how much it'll cost to repair?

Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Chain tensioners are pretty common in these.

You may be able to persue it as a goodwill repair through your Volkswagen dealer. They will need to diagnose and repair it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Another update on this one, my car was noisy on the drive to work this morning, it idles at approx 600RPM when it's cool in the morning. On the way back, in sunny 31 degree weather, the car idled at 650-700RPM and there was no noise at all.

I will try to hold the fuel lines later on tonight when the engine has completely cooled down.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Hi,

I had a poke around the hard lines next to the fuel pump this morning and the rattle seems to have gone away. I didn't feel that there was anything loose - so I'm not too sure what's caused the rattle to disappear. In the last few days, the rattle would appear in the morning when the engine ides at 600RPM or a touch over at the traffic lights. It was all quiet this morning.

When its hot in the afternoon, the sound does not appear anyway as the engine idles a bit faster. Therefore, I cannot replicate it for the dealer after work anyway.

In any case, I've booked my car in to the mechanic and for them to keep it overnight. Hopefully its just a fuel line issue.

Users Country Flag
    Local mechanics are useless for issues like this.

There are two TPI's in relation to this noise.

Once is the fuel line rattle (since you're only hearing it @ idle and not just a cold start noise id say this is your issue) which the TPI states to check the fuel filter label imprint for the imprint '6.6bar' if not then you replace with a 6.6bar one, you then remove the fuel lines and fit 3 serrated rings on the fuel line ($2 each ring) at different measurements and then reinstall the fuel lines, 77TSI engines also req idle speed increase, 90TSI does not. Hey presto problem sorted.

Next is a TPI for cold start rattle which in result is to replace the timing chains, chain tensioner, oil, oil filter and all associated seals. Trust me if this was your issue, you would be taking it to the dealer ASAP as it's a very distinctive noise on cold start.

Just put some foam in the engine bay down into the chassis rail behind/around where the fuel supply pipe comes up from. No need to follow the tech bulletins or get extra parts. The cause of the noise is the line rattling against the body due to the fuel "pulsations" through the system.

Timing chains will only have a very loud metallic noise on startup, if you notice it when it first occurs. Does not sound like your issue.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag

Hi all,

I found this video which is the sound that I was hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcXgATEUCg

So it looks to be the fuel line in my case. Thank you all for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast