Thread: Mk6 GTI Acceleration problem

Mk6 GTI Acceleration problem

I did a search, but couldn't find anything similar.
    Mk6 GTI, DSG, 2500km's on the clock.

Problem-When on a hwy onramp, i was accelerating and getting up to about 135kmh, i was about to ease off, when i noticed the car suddenly stop accelerating on it's own-like it just ran out of power. I eased off and coasted, and the car ran fine just sitting on 110kmh.

Little later that day, i accelerated off the line at close to full throttle, shifting at approx 5000rpm, when i got just under 100kmh, it lost power-felt like a old efi car with fuel surge, power was on/off/on/off-Didn't feel good at all, so i backed off and once again under light loads car drove fine.

I booked it in with my local dealer, and they did a diagnostics and said the car reported no faults-all sensors were fine etc. They did say that they reset the DSG program and shift points, and the clutch take up points. They said that they can't drive the car hard, or do 135+kmh, so hard to replicate the problem. They would probably need a dyno to replicate it.

Always run 98 octane fuel.

After they did their diagnostics, it did the same problem today where the power cut out/in/out etc.

Is this a common problem, or have others experienced it, and what was the fix?

I don't want to do damage to the car/motor and hole a piston, but the whole idea of buying a GTI is that you can use the power and not have to bay it around.

I have booked it back in again, but would like to be able to give them more info.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Users Country Flag
    I drive a manual GTI, I've pushed it up to insane speeds before, without any trouble. Even in 6th gear it feels like it has never ending power to go more than the speedo. I think there is definitely something not quite right with your car.
    [Current] Audi A4 B8 MY2013 2.0T Quattro - Lava Grey, Black Edition, S-Line, 19" TT-RS Wheels

[SOLD] Golf GTI MK6 MY2011.5 - Candy White, 5-Door, Manual, Sunroof, Park Assist, 9W7 Bluetooth RVC, MDI, Dynaudio, RossTech MicroCAN, Bluefin Stage 2, LED Tails, VW Racing Panel Air Filter, 3" Eurojet Downpipe, Milltek non-Resonated Catback

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen75 View Post
    They said that they can't drive the car hard, or do 135+kmh, so hard to replicate the problem. They would probably need a dyno to replicate.
    I guess you could see if a mechanic would come out with you for a quick spin and you can try and reproduce it for them?
    MY10 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon TSI Candy White DSG Leather Sunroof MDI Bluetooth Tow Tint
    MY11.5 Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr Candy White DSG Detroits MDI Bluetooth Bi-Xenons RVC Tint R-Tails - SOLD
    MK5 R32 3dr Black DSG - Loved it
    MY14 CLA45 AMG

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like over-boost to me buddy. A Fuel cut-out switch can activate if a turbo spools up too high... that's what use to happen in my WRX. More so under big load (max torque) in 4th gear than 1st or 2nd. Air temp had a lot to do with it as well. Might be worth investigating.

Users Country Flag

Found this when doing some reading on the DSG. Not sure if this is related to your issue. There was a recall overseas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2011 5DR GOLF GTI DSG 6 CANDY WHITE - LEATHER, SUNROOF, 18" DETROITS, MDI, BT

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by niall View Post
    Sounds like over-boost to me buddy. A Fuel cut-out switch can activate if a turbo spools up too high... that's what use to happen in my WRX. More so under big load (max torque) in 4th gear than 1st or 2nd. Air temp had a lot to do with it as well. Might be worth investigating.
    It would log a fault if it was overboosting.

They think they have found the problem being a 'fuel well sensor' reading low pressure....

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen75 View Post
    They think they have found the problem being a 'fuel well sensor' reading low pressure....
    Which dealer do you have your car booked into?

Quote Originally Posted by bang chong View Post
    Which dealer do you have your car booked into?
    James Frizelle southport.