Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing front grille and parking sensor

Users Country Flag

Missing front grille and parking sensor

Hi All - excuse the (mostly) repost, I used it in my newbie post, too

I joined this forum for advice, I seem to have been the victim of a little vandalism - I have had the front left grill insert and parking sensor stolen from my Mk6 Golf R There isn't any damage to the bumper at all... however, the rearview camera and other (still remaining) sensors don't work, im guessing because there is a short in the system.

All that is left is a hole and three exposed wires (from the sensor)... The smash repairs have quoted me $900+ to fix it (apparently they need to fashion new looms and things)... but I am a little dubious about that. Why would you need to?? its a new(ish) car, surely I could buy a new loom/whatever I need and just plug it/solder it in?

so im after learned advice - what parts do I need to fix it?? My initial searches on eBay and VW parts haven't given me anything definitive - and im not sure if I need a new loom for the sensor?

Ontop of this, how hard is it to do?? I can wire and solder and am mechanically minded - I cant quite see how its a $900 fix job, considering the new parts should just slot in (unless the wiring for the new sensor is actually complex??)... and that is... if I knew what the parts were!

Looking forward to your helpful helpiness!

Thanks

New sensor, new connector and the three wiring pins. Put it altogether and fixed. Only other thing you will need is a diagram to see where the wires go, but you may be able to decipher it by looking at the other sensors.

System shuts down as soon as one sensor has a fault.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That's brilliant, thanks Snail Style,

Dont suppose you can suggest the parts I need - or am I best going through the VW service desk to get them?

All good, I just ordered it through the VW parts desk... its a LOT cheaper than the smash repairs... lets hope it all goes together Ok!

Thanks again for your help!

When getting small items like that VW is always best. Sensor is around the $50-100 mark and connecters and wires shouldn't have set you back more than $50?
    Volks Handy

Not quite...
    $197 for the grill
    $196 for the sensor
    $20 for a new plug

Still, heaps better than getting someone to do it for me... ill spend the next little bit under the car - hopefully itll be a nice snappy job!

Wow sensor ain't cheap. I threw one away when i moved to Perth 6 months ago because no body wanted it. Had it up for $30...
    Volks Handy

Users Country Flag
    Probably would have been worth hitting up the wreckers for that price., probably could have just nipped off the cables with some wire cutters and matched the colours

Good luck with it, let us know how you go getting it all back together.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Picked up the pieces yesterday and all looks good...

... except the grill doesn't come with the mounting bracket for the sensor... Errgh!!

Have now reordered it - so the pieces needed are
    grille
    sensor
    plug
    mounting bracket for sensor in grille

Now all that's left is to try and figure our what wire goes where - and how to use the plug... im thinking removal of the right side grille may be needed!!

(ps. just realised it should be grille, not grill... I was obviously in BBQ mode earlier)

Will keep you all posted and try for pics if it would be useful for others down the track. seems like such a stupid act - why steal a bumper insert and sensor that is very specific to make and model??

Soooo... further information.

After picking up the parts and getting ready to install the new bits, I realised that the sensor bracket needs something to clip into... after a fair amount of googling (and slight pulling apart of the car), it seems there is a plate that sits behind the grille that the sensor bracket plugs into... and a rubber seal that goes around the outside of the sensor itself.

only trouble is - the VW dealership doesn't know of any part and the other local place would like me to drive out and discuss it. Ho hum.

No I am trawling the interweb looking for part numbers.

its never just easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast