Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (7K6)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    tried enabling indirect TPMS on my 11/2007 Skoda Octavia but no luck
    Revisited this today & it appears I've been successful. Mine has a MK60 ABS controller (not MK60EC1). There was no long coding helper in the ABS Controller - it requires you to add up the option numbers and do software coding. The tickbox for ""tyre pressure monitoring 7K6 installed is in the Instruments Module (IIRC).

I'll drive it about & test it for a few weeks & post my how-to in the Skoda area & link back here if it works properly
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

sergio279 Guest
    Hi, I have a Polo 6C from 2016 which i changed the original radio/screen, so now i cant reset tpms alert.

Do you know if its possible install the set tire Pressure button in the glove box? Or any retrofit kit?

I know that others Polo 6C wich does not have touch screen, have a switch in glove box... But my car not.

Thank you.

sergio279 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    Retrofit fully functional 7K6 Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring, (No TPMS reset button required).

This may be of interest, if like me; you have a lesser MK6 variant without TPMS. If your car came without the system it will not have a reset button. The rest of the hardware for the system to work, including the warning light, is already in your car. It is just not activated.

Benefits: Enables option [7K6] TPMS in cars shipped without TPMS [7K0].
    Does not require a Reset button to be fitted.
    No additional hardware required.
    Cost: Nothing, provided you have access to VCDS
    Target: Mark 6 Golf without factory TPMS button
    Requirement: Car with MK60EC1 ABS controller and access to VCDS
    Time involved: 5 minutes
    Downside: Requires access to VCDS again, to reset a Warning light, OR to re-teach new values.

On the basis that it is free and considerably better than nothing, I have activated, successfully tested and intend to use it. Usual caveats - All modifications and changes are done at your own risk.

What is 7K6?

7K6 is the second version of the VW indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). It uses the ABS system to deduce and warn you when a tire is going, or has gone flat. VW appear to have renamed it “Flat tire indicator” to differentiate it from the several “direct measurement” TPMS systems that it has also produces.

I have found that it will detect a problem tyre with a 5psi (15%) pressure drop from 32psi and start error counting. It will trigger the warning at 6psi or ~ 19%. The System is quicker to detect a rapid drop than a gradual deflation. Letting 6psi out in one hit will be detected in ~ 2 minutes and trigger a Warning in ~ 8 minutes. Letting out 3psi followed by incremental 1 psi drops to 6 psi will take longer for the Warning to develop once at 6psi.

Short Instructions.

Activate TPMS 7K6

1) Check you tire pressures are correct. At least even Pressures laterally.
    2) In VCDS VagCom go to your ABS controller > Coding > Long Coding Helper > and toggle byte 16, bit 2 ON.

ABS controller [Coding - 07]

Coding

Long Coding Helper

TPMS OFF

TPMS ON

3) Confirm system is active by turning IGN ON. Observe momentary TPMS light beside 180kmh on the speedo.

END

Reset the System
    (Emulate the missing TPMS button);
    - to clear a Warning.
    - to teach system after reconfiguring tires.
    - to teach system after modifying pressures from previously calibrated state.

1) In VCDS VagCom go to your ABS controller > basic settings > enter 042 in block field > GO > That’s it.

Resetting System. Showing EEPROM Reset message to confirm it has reset.

2) Chime and Orange TPMS light will go off (if it was ON).
    END

De Activate TPMS 7K6
    (Perhaps when Selling your car)

1) In VCDS VagCom go to your ABS controller and toggle byte 16 bit 2 OFF
    2) Confirm system is inactive by turning IGN ON and momentary TPMS light no longer appears.
    END

Note: After activating or resetting, the 7K6 system will need at least an hour of driving including highway speeds to fully adapt and correlate wheel speeds with correct tyre pressures before you can rely on it to give a Warning. Do not partially deflate a tyre in this period to test the warning. The system will not have learnt sufficiently to trigger a warning and it will invalidate the teach in process.

Request

It would be good if we can keep this thread on the topic of activating and using the 7K6 indirect system. The direct system is undoubtedly better - that is not what this thread it about.

If you want to debate the merits of the various TPMS systems or think this system is rubbish, go to the Tyre Pressure Monitoring thread which discusses this. If you want more detail and opinion on the merits of TPMS systems or are interested in how Mavericks supposes it works, go to his TPMS thread. Although I have found the assertion that it “will only alert after 25% of pressure has been lost” is incorrect. I have found it to be between 15% and 20%. Splitting hairs here I know. The speed of which the system learns is as much related to the speed at which you drive as the straightness of the roads. It will not learn anything at all after a reset, if you do not at some point get it up to highway speeds. I believe you could drive around town indefinitely and it will never gain enough information to calibrate itself. So a Highway drive at some point is essential if you want the system to function as designed.

Anyhow I hope this info will be of interest to some of you.
    Hi, when i try to access to "Basic Settings" the widows wichs opens is different for me. You can see:

How can i solve it? Thank you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345