Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlights won't turn off

Not a new problem. The DRLs are actually the headlights (as opposed to a separate bulb/s) but the process to turn the DRLs off doesn't work so they stay on all the time. So either VCDS to turn the DRL off or put up with it. VW have said (to me) that they won't fix the actual cause.
    GTI | Carbon | Man | 5 door | Leather | 18" Detroit | Bluetooth | MDI | Bi-Xenon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by elephino View Post
    Not a new problem. The DRLs are actually the headlights (as opposed to a separate bulb/s) but the process to turn the DRLs off doesn't work so they stay on all the time. So either VCDS to turn the DRL off or put up with it. VW have said (to me) that they won't fix the actual cause.

They wont do it because it is illegal to disable DRL's if factory fitted
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Headlights won't turn off

Yep, H15 high beam dual filament globes.

Mind you I'm talking Amarok, but they're basically the same setup, same globes as VW passenger cars.

I run seperate LED DRLs and coded the park circuit to activate as DRLs so I have taillights during the day.

Because my DRLs are now always on with the park circuit I then needed the LEDs to go out when the headlights came on to be legal, hence tapping into low beam as a trigger to turn them off.

I suspect I've overlooked something that is causing my 'auto' lights to stop working.

As for your issue why don't you try pulling the light switch out (easy as) and unplug the connector to isolate the switch being the problem.

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    They wont do it because it is illegal to disable DRL's if factory fitted
    I doubt that, especially considering if you have DRLs on a non-xenon vehicle you can disable them yourself.
    GTI | Carbon | Man | 5 door | Leather | 18" Detroit | Bluetooth | MDI | Bi-Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    Yep, H15 high beam dual filament globes.

Mind you I'm talking Amarok, but they're basically the same setup, same globes as VW passenger cars.

I run seperate LED DRLs and coded the park circuit to activate as DRLs so I have taillights during the day.

Because my DRLs are now always on with the park circuit I then needed the LEDs to go out when the headlights came on to be legal, hence tapping into low beam as a trigger to turn them off.

I suspect I've overlooked something that is causing my 'auto' lights to stop working.

As for your issue why don't you try pulling the light switch out (easy as) and unplug the connector to isolate the switch being the problem.

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave
    I'm not that bothered, actually, as when on country roads I used to turn them on anyway and most of my driving is to and from work so there's often evening driving so again the lights are on. So far I've only had to replace 1 headlight too.

Users Country Flag

I doubt that, especially considering if you have DRLs on a non-xenon vehicle you can disable them yourself.
    You may doubt it and may be able to turn them off but have a check with your TMR and I think you may find I am correct.
    Also why would you turn off a safety aid which is what they are designed to be.

I have emailed Qld TMR for a ruling and will post the answer when I get it
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 03-07-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12